Sat Nav Help

johndrew 20:22 06 Oct 2008

I never thought it would happen, but it looks as if I need a Sat Nav. In my defence, it is because I need to travel in an unknown city to get my wife to and from hospital; and with heavy traffic it is easy to miss signs. Unfortunately I may also need to enter and leave in different directions so repetition of a route to learn it is not likely.

Can anyone give advice on a good, reliable (no directions to the nearest river!!) and simple to use unit. It needs to have a clear screen and good volume - the latter is most important as I shall most likely be listening to directions rather than looking at the screen.

Many thanks in anticipation.

rdave13 20:42 06 Oct 2008

For me it's the TomTom. Clear and loud voice directions , fast re-rout if missed turning, with a clear screen. There are different versions to choose from. click here

karmgord 20:44 06 Oct 2008

All are NOT infalible,I use a cheap RAC sat nav which uses Route66 maps,there are options to select Fastest (mainly motorways)shortest (LITERALLY) Lorry and pedestrian modes,it only comes with UK and Ireland maps but is preloaded with safety (that's a joke tax collecting) camera sites which can be updated via the Internet.One excellent feature is the fuzzy logic search great if you don't know the correct spelling of the road,it of corse has 7digit postcode search.It DOES NOT come with live traffic updae caperbility Finally it came with a 30% discount voucher for the RAC and only cost £150.
P.S I'm sure the users of other major brands such as Tom Tom,Naviman,Garmin etc.will aslo recommend their brands.

TonyV 20:44 06 Oct 2008

I have a TomTom One XL with UK & N Ireland maps. It has a good size screen, and volume can be adjusted. I have no problems with the unit. It works well from the Postcode input, but can work equally well from the full address system. I did try a Garmin but found it to be far from reliable.

Cheers

TonyV

karmgord 20:49 06 Oct 2008

be aware they can be VERY distracting at first when driving

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 06 Oct 2008

Garmin for me although I have used several different makes / models.

You do need to glance at the screen when you get the audible info just to make sure you do not turn too soon.

Woolwell 22:50 06 Oct 2008

If you require a SatNav for a one off trip it may be more practical to hire one or it will allow you to trail one. A quick google will turn up several sites that hire satnavs.

Woolwell 22:50 06 Oct 2008

trial not trail.

woodchip 23:05 06 Oct 2008

Let me make it clear, I have a TomTom and Acer PDA with SatNav They are no good in a City

Woolwell 23:09 06 Oct 2008

My TomTom is fine in Birmingham and Plymouth.

^wave^ 09:16 07 Oct 2008

i use a tomtom 520 great device would not be without it.
to me the main players are garmin navman and tomtom having seen the others i chose tomtom for ease of use very straight forward

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie