sass.exe. Could this be the root of trouble

Demora 08:54 10 Jan 2008

Could this file be the root of all my problems?

click here

I turned the laptop on this morning and started a scan with Avast. I then noticed an error message about windows shutting down and something about sass.exe. The pc then went black and an error message came up telling me to use the win xp cd to repair as config was corrupt. or words to that effect.

If this is what I think it is, Why didn't Avast pick it up before.

TIA

D

brundle 09:39 10 Jan 2008

Sass.exe isn't a standard Windows file, LSASS.exe is.
Get rid of it.
click here

Open Avast and set Resident scanner to High.

VoG II 10:32 10 Jan 2008

Possibly click here

birdface 10:52 10 Jan 2008

If your spelling is correct sass.exe then it is a trojan.Like Brundle says lsass.exe is a windows file.click here

Diemmess 11:01 10 Jan 2008

I think this is part of a serious infestation.
Memories go back at over 2 years when Nellie2 helped me and others on this forum to clean out systems wrecked by a series of intruders.

Nellie 2's skills, involved HiJackThis and interpretations of what to do next. She moved to another website but in the way of cussedness I can't find it any more.

HijackThis is a free download, but it does need skill and patience to follow the order in which things have to be done.

birdface 11:27 10 Jan 2008

Probably moved you to this site.If not just register and download their Hijack this and post the results in their Forum.They will clean your computer for you.They are very busy so might take a day or so.click here

mfletch 11:47 10 Jan 2008

Hi, Try using SAS superantispyware first

Description:

C:\Windows\System32\SASS.EXE

Added by the Troj/Funsta-A Trojan

SAS/FREE version please check for any updates first then do a full scan,

click here

mfletch

Demora 15:49 16 Jan 2008

Thanks for the help. I got fed up with the Laptop and its very fequent BSODs etc. Parcelforce took it back to the store this morning for them to sort it out.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?