sarat up problems with WIN98SE

the-george 17:26 19 May 2004

I am posting this problem on behalf of a friend and have no access to his machine - trying to help him by e-mail.

Win 98 SE will only start in safe mode because it tells him that there was a problem starting up last time and windows did not load fully. Re-starting after safe mode produces a proper 98 boot up which behaves perfectly and shuts down ok. Then on the next boot up the same happens again - safe mode only.

I have suggested that he goes into msconfig and closes down the items in start up tab a batch at a time in order to see if this leads to a proper boot. If this happens then to re-select the last batch one at a time to find the culprit. Finally re-enabling any others.

However, any other ideas welcome.

Graham ® 17:35 19 May 2004

Yes, go into msconfig, General, Advanced, clear Enable Startup Menu.

Pidder 18:38 19 May 2004

Perhaps running Scandisc with the repair option ticked might help.

pj123 19:24 19 May 2004

Depending on how many times the PC has been started since this problem, a Registry Restore might help. To do this, start the computer and keep hitting the F8 key continuously until a menu appears. Select Item 6 Safe Mode command Prompt only. and press enter. You should get a black screen with the C:\ prompt. Type in scanreg /restore and press enter. A window with some previous dates will appear (american). Select a date before the problem occurred and press enter. Follow the prompts. The date window only holds the last 5 entries so if there is no date there before the problem it won't work. In that case you will need to start again and try this. Start the computer and do the F8 routine again but this time select Item 5. Command prompt only. At the C:\ prompt type scandisk c: and press enter. Let it go through the process to completion and then follow the prompts, and reboot.

the-george 16:24 21 May 2004

Thanks for suggestions but by time I got back to my friend he had installed ME and solved problem that way.

pj123 17:59 21 May 2004

OK, so if you think the problem is solved please tick it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?