sapphire Radeon HD 6950

IClaudio 15:54 04 Feb 2011

Thought I'd treat myself to the 2GB version of this and tried to install it today. All I got, after several attempts, was a loud squeal - no monitor action at all.

Anyone else here tried this particular card? Any tips?

GaT7 16:35 04 Feb 2011

Did you connect the requisite 2x 6-pin PCI-E connectors from the PSU?

What PSU do you have - make & model please? G

IClaudio 16:52 04 Feb 2011

Hi Crossbow....

I have a Hiper 880W PS. The leads are modular, and the one I was using in the previous card has a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector. On the new card, as you imply, there are two 6-pin connectors.

I guess this is where the problem lies, but as I say, the lead I am using has only one 6-pin connector. I shall now disconnect and look for another 6-pin!

Thanks for your guidance...

GaT7 16:58 04 Feb 2011

Yes, that PSU should be more than enough.

But as you realise, you'll need a 8pin-6pin converter cable (like click here), or a twin-molex to 6-pin converter cable (like click here). G

IClaudio 17:54 04 Feb 2011

I can only find 6-pin to 8-pin converters... can I presume that they will work in the opposite direction?

GaT7 18:07 04 Feb 2011

Not that I know of because the genders will be wrong.

You've marked it as resolved - is it? G

GaT7 18:08 04 Feb 2011

Not that I know of because the genders will be wrong for your setup. G

IClaudio 18:14 04 Feb 2011

Marked it Resolved because I understand the solution! But now can't find the 8-pin to 6-pin converter... where did you get the image from?

IClaudio 18:17 04 Feb 2011

Dang the lack of an edit function on this Forum!

In the box with the new card is a Molex to 6-pin cable, I guess this can just hang on to any Molex lead from the PSU? I shall give it a go tomorrow...

GaT7 18:28 04 Feb 2011

If the one you found is a single-molex to PCI-E I wouldn't recommend.

8-6pin one found on eBay that seems correct but ending in around 6 days click here. There are more there, but all from Far East sellers, so could take 2 weeks to arrive!

You should be able to get the twin-molex one quite easily though - e.g. click here & click here - consider the TWIN-molex ones only. And email the seller(s) to ask if it's exactly as pictured or described before buying.

Image was from Google images by the way. G

IClaudio 18:37 04 Feb 2011

Thanks for all your help, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017