Sapphire ATI HD 7850 & Folding @ Home ?

Audio~~Chip 12:57 09 Feb 2009

Hello

Fitting a new PCI Express card and at the start of the intallation it gives you a list of the items to be installed which are Catalyst and [email protected]!

Ok, can someone tell me what Folding at home is all about. I googled it and found it relating to a charity. Can someone please explain what Folding @ Home is all about in not to tech lingo.

Do I really need this ?

Graphicool1 13:41 09 Feb 2009

It would seem to have something to do with this...

Stanford University's [email protected] program groups hundreds of thousands of home computers together worldwide, studying folding by taking advantage of each computer's processing power to form a distributed supercomputer. Today the program consists of approximately 200,000 computers, using various computer processors.

Getting involved with [email protected]

To get involved with Stanford's University's [email protected] program and take advantage of the accelerated research capabilities of ATI processors, a Radeon X1900 GT, Radeon X1900 XT, Radeon X1900 XTX, Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition, Radeon X1950 XTX, or Radeon X1950 CrossFire Edition is necessary along with the new [email protected] (graphics processing unit) GPU client and the ATI Catalyst 6.10 driver from ATI. Both the [email protected] GPU client and ATI Catalyst 6.10 driver are expected to be available Monday, October 2nd. For more information, visit click here or click here.

I found this information at...
click here

Audio~~Chip 13:47 09 Feb 2009

Take it its not needed and its sort of a spyware plug in. Useless stuff.

keef66 14:13 09 Feb 2009

Useless to you, but possibly very useful to Stanford's researchers. Depends how public spirited you are.

My ageing pc will barely do what I want it to do, never mind lending it out to Stanford as well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone