Samsung NP-R70

the pilgrim 410 12:11 24 Nov 2011
Answered

I have a samsung NP-R70 laptop, I shut it down in the usual way and everything was fine. When I tried to boot it up the following day, it bleeped 3 times, I heard a little bit of whirling (possibly the fan or the hard drive) but after that I had nothing, the screen stayed black. I tried the recovery disc, but that didn't work either. can anybody help?

the pilgrim 410 12:12 24 Nov 2011

I have a samsung NP-R70 laptop, I shut it down in the usual way and everything was fine. When I tried to boot it up the following day, it bleeped 3 times, I heard a little bit of whirling (possibly the fan or the hard drive) but after that I had nothing, the screen stayed black. I tried the recovery disc, but that didn't work either. can anybody help?

robin_x 12:27 24 Nov 2011

A quick search for 'np-r70 beep codes' reveals an interesting link

If indeed 3 beeps means a GPU fault and is this known problem, you have extended claim possibilities under the Sale of Goods Act for a solution. Possibly up to 6 years under law.

Does your User Manual indeed have an Appendix confirming the beep code? See website for manual

I can't do any more Googling now, have to go out.

robin_x 12:28 24 Nov 2011
Answer

Or Service Manual

robin_x 18:48 24 Nov 2011

Better nVidia defect link (if applicable)

Just cruising another forum and spotted it.

the pilgrim 410 22:46 24 Nov 2011

thanks robin for all your advice, i am checking all the links you posted, i've had the laptop about 4 years now, if i don't have a legal case i would like to know if i can repair it myself, or would it be cheaper to buy a new one. thanks

robin_x 22:53 24 Nov 2011

I'll give you the other link I stumbled across today. Some guy has already sent his unit away for the chip to be replaced and joints "reballed".

HP nVidia thread

You must be certain you have the same problem first. Might just be coincidence it came up on a Google search.

If yours is 4 yrs old, you may have difficulty for any redress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017