Samsung NC10 - partition hard disk

steved99 17:08 17 May 2009

Just bought myself a Samsung NC10 (Windows XP)which has a 160GB hard disk. As part of the setup/registration process it asks what size I want the C: and D: drives to be with the warning THAT THIS PROCEDURE CAN ONLY BE COMPLETED ONCE SO CHOOSE CAREFULLY.

I'm thinking along the lines of 50GB for C: (OS and programs) and the rest on D: (for data). Is this a good idea?

Thanks

Graham. 17:54 17 May 2009

About 3/4 down the page click here

steved99 20:33 17 May 2009

Thanks. That looks like the prodedure to change the partion size if it's already been set up. I haven't set the partition sizes yet. There seems to be a difference of opinion on the forums about whether two (or more) partitions are a good idea rather than just one large partition for the whole drive. Personally, I think I like the idea of two but don't really understand the advantages/disadvantages.

What I'm not sure about is whether to go for the default 50:50 split or a different balance (and if so what proportion should be for OS + propgrams and what proportion should be for data.

I will be using just a few different programs which may generate large amounts of data (which suggests a larger D: drive for the data), but am I correct in thinking this. Isn't "My Documents" on the C: drive - and if so can I move it to D: OK?

Thanks

MAT ALAN 20:40 17 May 2009

I have C:\ set at 20gigs with just O/S and updates
all other progs and files on different HDDS and partitions..

C:\ drive is backed up using Acronis TI10, format C:\ reinstall takes less than an hour...

click here

move my docs in link...

MAT ALAN 20:41 17 May 2009

forget to mention XP Home SP3

steved99 23:27 17 May 2009

Great article on your link - thanks. If I've understood that correctly I just keep the C drive for Windows (and other software programs). As it's a brand new machine it's the ideal time so tomorrow I'll partition my 160GB with a smallish C drive and a large D drive and put "My Documents" on D.

Thanks for your help.

robin_x 02:43 18 May 2009

My recovery D: partition is 10GB and the rest of the HDD is C: the remainder of the 160GB disc.
Do some more research before you format.

Sorry I cant help more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?