Samsung NC10 Disc Image

dogbreath1 21:23 30 Jun 2010

I've tried creating a disc image of the hard drive of a Samsung netbook. XPSP3 NTFS to FAT32 Western Digital ext HDD.

I've tried using Acronis 8 & 9 and Macrium Free but all are giving cannot read from disc errors part way through the backup. I've used RevoUninstaller between installing the respective disc image software apps.

Chkdsk reveals no errors.

The netbook is connected to it's power supply.

Any ideas, please?

Peter 21:54 30 Jun 2010

Try making an Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to a small USB Flash drive and boot from it. You will need to access you Boot menu at start up of the netbook. There should be a message about the boot menu or BIOS Setup when you switch on the netbook.

On my Advent 4211 Netbook I could only make a suitable bootable USB Flash Drive if it was about 128MB or smaller or formatted to about 128MB or smaller, but this problem may have been peculiar to my netbook.

Plug in the USB Flash Drive and your back up media before booting to ensure that it is recognised and available for use during backup.

Peter.

dogbreath1 22:01 30 Jun 2010

Thank you, Peter.

I'll see what other replies come in, but I will gladly try your suggestion.

Cheers,

db.

mgmcc 22:21 30 Jun 2010

Try running 'Check Disk' on your Netbook's "C" drive in case there are hard disk problems that need to be fixed before the backup program is able to complete the task.

I have backed up my Netbook to an external drive using Acronis - actually Acronis 11 and Windows 7 Starter, but Acronis 9 shouldn't have a problem with XP.

dogbreath1 09:40 01 Jul 2010

Thanks for that but already tried it.

woodchip 10:34 01 Jul 2010

As above you are better using the Boot Rescue CD to run it, but also making a Image to a fat32 the Image is split in 4 gig files as that is the limit of a Fat32 file system and may be your problem. You can set Acronis to create files to a given size in the program, read and check as you go from page to to page to find it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache