Samsung laptop suddenly died

  AroundAgain 18:55 12 Jan 2015

Hi This is regarding friend's daughter's laptop so apologies if details are a bit sketchy.

Samsung R517 laptop, running Windows 7

Story is that J (teenage daughter) has got into the habit of playing DVD at night and falling asleep before end. Laptop is then left plugged in for remainder of night, and sometimes for following day in which case continued to be plugged in and switched on for following night etc... However, last sign of life was the other night, laptop being used while unplugged so using battery, J admits to noticing battery was about to run out but did nothing and just let laptop battery drain totally. Next day, when J went to boot up, there was no sign of life.

Problem now is that laptop shows absolutely no sign of life, no response when attempt to switch on, no lights showing indicating it is connected to power although the transformer does show connection via light on the box.

Obviously, it would be good to fix this laptop but where to start? I also wonder about the socket being damaged. I did wonder about power surge overnight but, as laptop wasn't plugged in and left with drained battery, that won't be the issue.

Hopefully, someone can suggest how this might be fixed. As the laptop is a few years old, I don't think costly repairs will be considered and J is going to have to manage without until she saves up to buy her own!

Many thanks for any help. Apologies for any typos but posting via a tablet, with difficulty :( Hope this all makes sense ;)

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 12 Jan 2015

Will it start with the battery removed?

  AroundAgain 20:23 12 Jan 2015

Hi Fruit Bat No,unfortunately

  SparkyJack 20:28 12 Jan 2015

Is the power supply unit functioning? Do you have access to on other of the same spec?

  AroundAgain 20:42 12 Jan 2015

Hi SparkyJack

Well, the cable seems to be working OK in that, when plugged into the wall socket, there is a green light on the transformer box. That's the only indication I have. Can you suggest an alternative though?

No, I don't have another machine to test on, apart from my own laptop but am not happy to try that, of course.

Please keep the ideas flowing ...

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:44 12 Jan 2015

Unplg mains and battery

press and hold power button for 30 seconds

refit mains cable and retry.

  AroundAgain 20:51 12 Jan 2015

Sorry, no change, no life, Think it needs a defibrillator !!! ;)

  kad292 08:27 13 Jan 2015

Could the CMOS battery have failed.?

  onthelimit1 09:26 13 Jan 2015

The green light on the charger does not mean that DC is present at the plug - I've seen numerous occasions of this. A local garage should have a voltmeter to test the output.

  alanrwood 10:00 13 Jan 2015

When the charger is plugged into the mains and inserted into the laptop socket does the power charge light on the laptop actually show as charging. If not then there is a problem either with the adaptor (Usually the laptop end plug has gone faulty or the wire close to the end has broken so try gently moving it around and see if it has any effect) or the laptop socket has gone faulty (Not an uncommon problem). If the latter then it is a repairer's job unless you are good with a soldering iron. There is also an outside chance that the power control circuits may have gone faulty so again a repairer's job. Get an estimate first.

It is possible that the battery became faulty and caused the fault by overloading the power control circuitry in which case you will also need a replacement battery in addition to a repair. Again check prices first before committing to a repair as the total cost may not be worth it.

  AroundAgain 13:11 13 Jan 2015

Hi guys

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to work through all the suggestions systematically etc, as best I can. I don't have the laptop with me just now. Last evening, I was at friend's house. If necessary, I can go over to get it, maybe.

Jock1e - I tried a gentle 'wiggle'. There was only very slight movement which, I feel, was about the same as my own laptop so I don't feel that to be an issue. No, there was no flickering of lights or anything to suggest loose connection/wires etc.

I've watched the video in your link and, to be honest, will think seriously before undertaking such a project. I suspect the laptop wouldn't work at all after taking all those bits out!!! I notice, on the video, he doesn't show it being put back together again and switched on!!! ;)

I looked on YouTube but couldn't find the same model as this one so that could add just a bit more fun to this, should I decide to try replacing the socket ;)

Still, the fact that the laptop is so 'dead' does mean there is little/nothing to loose, of course!

Re holding the start button etc, I tried that a few times again, of varying time so I don't feel that is going to work, unfortunately.

AilishAlda - I have tried with/without battery in place. I'll see what I can do to track down a suitable charge cable to borrow, in order to check that out.

Kad - I've no idea re the CMOS battery. Presumably, I'd have to take said laptop to bits to access it before trying another? If I do proceed to take laptop to bits, I'll certainly consider this possibility. How would I know the CMOS battery had died, though?

OnTheLimit - Good idea to get the charger checked. I'll see what I can do to get that checked. Thanks

AlanRWood - Thanks. Unfortunately, no, there are no lights showing on the laptop when plugged in, not even when wiggled. Totally 'dead' with no signs of any life. As OnTheLimit suggests, a voltmeter to test the output would he helpful

I don't think the parents will want to spend too much on repairs, especially when it's not known what actually is the problem. The laptop was bought 2nd hand and, as you can appreciate, hasn't exactly been treated with much respect by the daughter! I did learn, after the initial post, that apparently the daughter didn't like sleeping in the dark, hence her justification of leaving the laptop running all night (just an excuse, I think)! I have to say, I was not especially amused when she said that and directed her to the local, well-known DIY shop for an inexpensive night light! ;) I just got a 'dirty' look, as you can imagine ;) So much for 18 yr olds!!!

So, I think I'll call it a day just now and discuss with my friend as to what she would like to do about this laptop. I think she'll say to leave it and not spend money on it. If that's the case, I think I'll maybe 'adopt' it, if she's just wanting to dump it, and I'll then seriously consider trying to repair it myself as a project. I would find it interesting to take a laptop to bits and, if I should happen to fix it, I'll find tons of satisfaction. Alternatively, it could maybe go on ebay to sell for spares.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really do appreciate all your help and advice. I'll certainly get back here, for further help, should I decide to try to 'fix' it - I'll need all the help I can get. Oh, and yes, I do have a small tipped soldering iron but it's little used!

So, again, thanks very much to you all


PS Apologies for the length of this post :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?