Samsung Galaxy S 2.1. to 2.2 Problematic?

compumac 19:46 09 Jan 2011

I have posted this query on a Galaxy forum but not received any replies whatsoever.

I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.1. Using Kies it states that there is an update but I am apprehensive on updating the phone that is only three days old. If I were to update and it did go wrong would I be able to revert back to the original settings?

Woolwell 19:53 09 Jan 2011

I don't know about winding it back. However I did the upgrade without any snags at all.

compumac 19:56 09 Jan 2011

Woolwell
Thanks for quick response. I am just a little apprehensive thats all.

Woolwell 20:37 09 Jan 2011

Did you view the how-to-upgrade video on the Samsung support site?

Woolwell 20:39 09 Jan 2011

Looks as if it possible to go back click here but may cause problems too.

compumac 20:51 09 Jan 2011

I cannot access the Samsung how-to-upgrade video as it gets to the point of opening and then just - nothing. Everyone says it is straight forward but I did wonder as to whether the factory reset would still be available in the event of a problem with V2.2?

Woolwell 21:00 09 Jan 2011

I could only view the video using IE.

I've just upgraded to 2.2.1 without any problems.

compumac 21:29 09 Jan 2011

Was able to view the video and then realised that I had already seen it. It is just apprehension on my part.

Woolwell 22:40 09 Jan 2011

I found the whole process daunting but it worked out ok. You have to be patient and allow time (about 10 mins). The phone eventually re-boots and you have to set language again but it keeps all of your contacts, etc. It prompts to back up your data during the upgrade.

dwaynedibbly 00:09 10 Jan 2011

my other half has just got this phone on an upgrade.
Did the firmware upgrade as soon as we connected it to our netbook via Kies.
Worked a treat.
Just be patient and let it run through the process, took about 10 to 15 mins in total. No problems.

What I would say about the phone...is OMG, why buy an Iphone when you can get a phone as good as this.
Its fast, stable and loads of apps and widgets are available. The majority of them are free.
Looking forward to my contract upgrade. Time to ditch Windows mobile me thinks.

Woolwell 08:49 10 Jan 2011

I lost my bookmarks after my last firmware update and had to reset them. Calendar is slightly different too.
Phone could do with a camera flash and better battery life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?