Samsung F2 with serious error and now not showing

erkmatrix 16:42 15 Dec 2010

Hi

I'm not having much look with computers lately, first my main machine's PSU goes and still waiting to get that sorted after 2 weeks.

Now my old PC with my main hard drive from my other machine has now gone corrupt or something. I put it in my old PC that I had incase of my new one going out of action and glad I have it.

Heres the problem. I was working in a directory on my Samsung F2 drive (this is not the boot drive I should add)today when it began to not open a folder and just got stuck I couldn't close it with task manager, it did flash something about low of virtual memory. So in the end had to turn my standby button on my computer. When it turned back I clicked load with last known good configuration and it started then when itno disk chk on my Samsung F2, I thought I might as well as it would maybe fix the problem. Only it went through 3 stages and then got stuck. So I maybe shouldn't of but I did wait ages. I truned it off with standby again. This time I tried safe mode, for some reason it took around 7-10 mins but did eventually come back only had no e-drive with my Samsung F2 on. So I shutdown and started windows as normal, again took 7-10 mins and no F2 drive.

Is it gone for good, it had lots of todays and yesterdays work on it, luckily I do have a Samsung story external as my backup. Does anyone know what I can do or if the drive is gone for good.

I'm on windows xp 64-bit incase that info was needed.

woodchip 16:52 15 Dec 2010

You cannot should not fit a Hard Drive from one computer into another and expect it to work, if at all. As all the Hardware and Drivers are different in each computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 15 Dec 2010

He did say its not the boot drive so assume he has inserted as second drive to transfer / work on files.

junipaire
Look in disk management and see if it shows there?

erkmatrix 19:13 15 Dec 2010

Hi

Yeah its not the boot drive, just a drive for storage as my other drive is a SSD drive.

No I can't see it either in disk management. Is there anything I can do to get it to show.

If I have to get another drive, what should I get an external or internal and which brand, I'm getting sick of drives not lasting very long at all, are there any reliable ones that actually last for longer than a year or two.

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 15 Dec 2010

Not seen in disk management is not good.as data recovery programs need to see the drive to start recovery

Type of drive IDE or SATA?

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting?

woodchip 20:41 15 Dec 2010

Looks like a hole in the Garden is needed

erkmatrix 20:49 15 Dec 2010

hole in the garden lol, yeah probably right, unless junk it is. Its a SATA, not tried reconnected no, will try tomorrow.

Would you recommend replacing it with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB or a Western Digital model. I suppose they both have their bad points and some have them for years and other fails in a few weeks/months

I was even looking into Livedrive or Mozy online storage. It would be good to know its all nicely backuped somewhere and no more drive failures but if you can't get online for some reason or other then you haven't got it at hand. Mozy do a deal £104 for 2 years with 3 months free which is tempting.

woodchip 20:52 15 Dec 2010

seagate have either 3 or 5 year warranty, better buying two 500 that one 1000 if one goes you will still have 500

erkmatrix 14:10 16 Dec 2010

I have opted to get a Samsung F3 1TB in the end. I did try a new sata lead and plugged it in but nothing showed. I have read a few people online saying about problems with the Samsung F2 1.5TB and 1.5TB drives in general not being too reliable so gonna stick to 1TB ones and hope this lasts a couple of years at least.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?