Samsung DVD drive not recognised

briandy 17:47 03 May 2008

I have installed a Samsung SH-S203 SATA drive.
The BIOS recognises the drive, the drive powers up and it is possible to open and close the tray.

The drive does not seem to be recognised by xp as it does not appear under My Computer. When opening the control panel and looking under the Device Manager the drive appears in the list with an exclamation mark in a yellow dot. When the machine is booted the 'found new hardware' message appears but no drivers are found. As far as I was aware the drive does not need any drivers, or am I mistaken? Is there something I have not done as it is an OEM device with no instructions.

skidzy 18:00 03 May 2008

click here

Do you have sp2 installed ?

Did you try to update the drivers via device manager ?

briandy 20:07 03 May 2008

Yes, I am running under sp2 and all windows updates have been installed.
I tried updating the driver under device manager but it came back that it could not find a more recent driver.
It is showing an error code 37 but I am still confused as did not think dvd drives needed separate drivers. On the initial installation xp did not find any drivers and I did not find any on the Samsung website.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:08 03 May 2008

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

woodchip 20:17 03 May 2008

check how the jumper is set on the drive and tell use how its connected

FatboySlim71 23:25 03 May 2008

Just a suggestion, could you switch the computer off and disconnect the leads from the drive and then re-insert them and see if it solves anything.

Ditch999 12:47 04 May 2008

Dont forget this is a SATA drive guys!

briandy 22:28 04 May 2008

Thanks for all the help guys but it seems I might have a corrupted xp. Device manager is telling me that there is a driver and that the device is working ok. I put my old drive back (not a sata) and exactly the same thing has happened, device manager finds the driver but the drive still does not work.
I would like to try a windows repair, but how do I do that if my drive is not working?

woodchip 23:00 04 May 2008

It may be a Faulty Cable or Connection

woodchip 23:02 04 May 2008

If you can see the drive in Device Manager, Uninstall it by right click\Uninstall

Ditch999 00:05 05 May 2008

Check your BIOS settings to make sure that RAID is disabled and check your motherboard to ensure that you do not have it connected to a RAID SATA socket. You dont say what the motherboard make/model is so I cant check for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?