Samsung 960BF monitor stand collapsed!

Aristocatman 21:08 29 Oct 2010
Answered

My Samsung 19" 960BF monitor suddenly collapsed on investigation the diecast sh*t metal inside the stand has cracked through in a number of places.
The reason to me as a mechanical engineer over strong springs & spring washers counterbalancing the screen overstressed the stand. Incredibly over complicated design poorly executed.
Biggest problem is Samsung don't seem to have any organisation to repair or supply spares for monitors. Just try & find any help in UK or worldwide UK cust service direct you to a company that only repair electronics I spent hours online & on phone & got Nowhere. I could go back to Comet but it is 4 years old & yes the sale of goods act says that stuff should have a reasonable life 5-6 years -try that in Comet!

Nontek 21:40 29 Oct 2010

I think this should perhaps be in the Consumerwatch forum (on left of this page).

ashdav 22:29 29 Oct 2010

I had exactly the same problem with a 23" Samsung monitor that was over 2yrs old (outside of warranty) and I took the time to find the Samsung customer help site.
There was no quibble with the problem. Samsung arranged for it to be picked up and it was returned, fixed, in 3 days at no cost to me.I did it all by email.
So I would suggest, Aristocatman, that you take time to get in touch with Samsung and put your case calmly.
This is a known problem and Samsung are keen to fix it.

Aristocatman 09:13 30 Oct 2010

Unfortunately ashdav I did not get the same response from the Samsung customer help site. Do you still have the email address that got you the result. Calm?! I spent 2 hours on line & on phone finding blind alleys & got nowhere.

ashdav 11:46 30 Oct 2010

It's not an email address as such.
It's a "contact us" box on the website that you type directly into.
click here# Under General Questions click on the Email Samsung link.
I just asked how to return my monitor for repair after explaining the problem was with a weak design and appeared to be wide spread and it all happened from there.

robin_x 12:43 30 Oct 2010

I had same problem with a die-cast coupling on a B&Q circular chop saw a couple of years ago.

Reduced from £99 to £49. It lasted about a dozen cuts. Then fractured. Die-cast is brittle.

Replaced and no prob with identical unit.
I did try to get spare part first but impossible on these types of things.

Heavy'ish use now but I can't afford DeWalt.

But anyway, if you can find and print out loads of people with broken stands, then claim under 6yr 'rule' Sale of Goods.

Aristocatman 17:48 30 Oct 2010

OK email is sent I await with interest

GaT7 18:43 30 Oct 2010

As it's an old model (3-4 years?), it's very unlikely they will have anything suitable to offer. And I doubt you'll get anywhere with the SoGA either. Both worth a try I guess & all the best with them.

If nothing is forthcoming & it has a VESA-compatible mount (click here), you can get a desk or wall mount. The former is likely to be expensive, so I'd go for the latter if suitable for your setup - examples are click here & click here. G

ashdav 21:15 30 Oct 2010

When I got my monitor back it was the same one (I made discrete marks to identify it).
The diecast metal parts of the screen mounting had been replaced with steel ones.
I think Samsung are prepared for this and are repairing rather than replacing the whole thing.

ashdav 15:07 20 Nov 2010

Any progress with this ?

Aristocatman 17:16 20 Nov 2010
Answer

Well I must have gone round the Samsung merry go round 4 or 5 times. ( typical call centre very helpful & get nowhere) I have got a name of a uk service company but by then I think my brain had gone into eyes glaze over mode so I have not contacted them. If it is going to cost me to replace the part I can just as easily design & make my own replacement a lot simpler & stronger than the original or.. I have a spare Sony monitor of the same size so I may not even bother to fix the Samsung. We'll see....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?