Safely remove USB icon missing

2neat 19:14 29 Jan 2006

On my laptop I don't get the icon near the clock when I plug in a USB device. How can I get this to re-appear? Win XP home
Regards

howard63 19:26 29 Jan 2006

check in hardware that there are no yellow exclamation marks.

2neat 19:47 29 Jan 2006

no yellow exclamation marks! Any other ideas please.

Curio 19:54 29 Jan 2006

You will not get one for a printer or scanner, but Camera Cards, External Hard Drives etc you will. Right Click on Task Bar, Properties, Customise and click on Safely remove Hardware. Then select always show and OK your way out

2neat 20:07 29 Jan 2006

It is a Belkin Bluetoof USB stick. Your right, I have plugged in my Mem stick & it appeared.
Looks like its not needed for blue device.
It dosent feel right yanking it out without stopping! Thanks for your help

Stuartli 20:55 29 Jan 2006

The Safely Remove Hardware facility is used for storage devices such as memory cards etc, as removing them without otherwise first shutting down the system will corrupt the card.

Minkey1 22:35 29 Jan 2006

The Safely Remove Hardware icon by the Clock will often not appear due to loading/timing issues. I'm not sure anyway if it is supposed to appear for a bluetooth adapter.

Anyway, for devices it is supposed to be used for, right click on the device in My Computer, Properties, Hardware, select device, Properties, Policies, will bring up window with options for Quick Removal, or Optimise for Performance.

Click on the link in the latter and the icon will reappear, and can be used.

Bit laborious but it's the only way I know to get the icon back in the Notification Area.

Mike

Minkey1 22:39 29 Jan 2006

Sorry, I'm assuming you don't use "Hide inactive icons" - if you do, use Curio's advice above.

Mike

2neat 09:10 01 Feb 2006

Sorted now thanks. It only appears with certain devices. Kind regards 2neat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone