safely remove hardware (but reuse)

Carafaraday 16:14 04 Dec 2006

After I have removed an SD or flash card (having used safely remove hardware), I have to reboot the pc before I can use that card input again. Is there any way of telling the pc that I want to reuse the memory card reader?

Stuartli 16:20 04 Dec 2006

Just pull the USB lead out and push it back in again.

Carafaraday 16:25 04 Dec 2006

Stuartli - it's not a USB lead it's an integral part of the pc - a 9 card reader with various different slots on the front of the pc. I'm usually very careful to use 'safely remove hardware' before I remove SD or flash cards, but if I want to insert them again I have to reboot or the pc just doesn't see them.

Stuartli 16:29 04 Dec 2006

Ah, but you didn't say it was an integrated card reader...:-)

Carafaraday 16:33 04 Dec 2006

Sorry.

Belatucadrus 16:43 04 Dec 2006

The only thing I can think of is to check the device policy :-
1) Open the Safely Remove Hardware Window.
2) Open the Device Properties window for the designated drive letter.
3) Go to the policies tab.
4) Ensure the radio button is set against 'Optimise for quick removal'
It'll still leave the Remove hardware task bar icon in place, but you should be able to pull any memory cards out without having to use it and disconnecting the reader in the process.

Carafaraday 16:47 04 Dec 2006

Belatucadrus - I was just going to try that but the safely remove hardware icon has somehow disappeared - presumably its only there when something is actually plugged in?

xania 16:55 04 Dec 2006

Sorry but, if its integral, why 'remove' it in the first place. You only need to use this facility for something you want to detach physically to make sure that the cache is cleared before you disconnect it.

Carafaraday 17:13 04 Dec 2006

Xania - the card is not integral - but the card reader is.

Technotiger 17:24 04 Dec 2006

I have an integral multi-card reader ... I never use the 'safely remove' icon. I simply insert or remove my camera's card as and when - of course I make sure that all action is finished, i.e. it would just be silly to remove the card in the middle of transferring info.

Belatucadrus 17:36 04 Dec 2006

I think so, like you I've got a card reader that's permanently plugged in, so the icon's always there. Presumably yours will reappear after a reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?