Safely remove hardware message doesnt appear

FatboySlim71 23:05 18 Aug 2009

I am running Vista Ultimate.

For as long as I can remember, when I have left clicked on the safely remove hardware icon on the taskbar, then chose the safely remove hardware, I always used to get the message appear to say that the device was OK to disconnect. But now when I do this I do not get the message appear and also if I try to run any programs they don't load up after doing the left click/safely remove hardware and also the computer won't shutdown or restart and I am forced to hold the power button in to switch the computer off. I just wondered if there is a way to repair the safely remove hardware feature?

Some people say it isn't necessary to use the safely remove hardware feature but I have always used it and its reassuring to see the message that says you can safely disconnect your device.

FatboySlim71 08:09 19 Aug 2009

bump

Stuartli 08:18 19 Aug 2009

The Safely Remove Hardware icon normally only appears if you have an appropriate device connected, such as an external hard drive or memory card reader/writer.

See

click here

Stuartli 08:21 19 Aug 2009
  FatboySlim71 09:54 19 Aug 2009

The safely remove hardware icon is there when I have my external hard drive connected. The problem I am having is that when I left click on the safely remove hardware icon, I usually get the message appear that it is safe to remove the hardware, but I do not get this shown now, if I try to load my web browser up for example it will not load up, also if I try to restart my computer or shut it down nothing happens either. So I expect that the last two problems (restart or shutdown computer) I have mentioned must be in some way down to the safely remove hardware feature/function not functioning correctly.

Stuartli 10:50 19 Aug 2009

Have you read the first link in my 8:21am posting?

FatboySlim71 14:46 19 Aug 2009

Sorry Stuartli I did miss the first link. I have run the sfc /scannow. It showed that:

'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them, details included in the CBS log, the file repair changes will take affect after the next reboot'.

I'll see what happens after my next reboot and I'll updtae with the outcome.

Thanks for your help Stuartli its much appreciated.

Stuartli 15:09 19 Aug 2009

If that doesn't work, try CheckDisk (ChkDsk).

Go to My Computer>right click>Explore>highlight your hard drive>right click>Properties>Tools tab>Error Checking>click on Check Now button>tick first box (second as well if you want a full check)>OK.

Then Reboot for CheckDisk to start checking for errors.

Stuartli 15:10 19 Aug 2009

The above is for XP - not sure about Vista.

Stuartli 15:11 19 Aug 2009

A Reboot should only take a few seconds to see if the SFC route worked...:-)

FatboySlim71 16:23 19 Aug 2009

I have just rebooted now and I have tried connecting my external hard drive and all seems to be fine now, thanks so much for the help its much appreciated.

The only problem I have now is that I have test mode displayed in each of the 4 corners of my screen and across the top and bottom of the screen it show the version number of Windows I am using, perhaps its something to do with the scan I done? but I don't know how to get rid of it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?