Safely Remove Hardware issue

BingoBoy 11:38 23 Jan 2008

Further to my recent issues with connecting and ripping music using my Dell Dimension PC with XP home edition and WMP11 I now seem to be having an issue with removing the USB connection between my PC and player. Having clicked on the Safely Remove Hardware icon a message appears saying something along the lines of can't do it generic device busy please try later. After 40 mins of waiting and trying I gave up and shut down my PC and MP3 player before removing the USB connector which does not seem to have cause any problems with what I synched but does anybody know why it happened and any fixes?

mfletch 13:00 23 Jan 2008

Hi,

Next time it happens right click on the safely remove icon it may list more than one item,

Try each one,

mfletch

BingoBoy 13:02 23 Jan 2008

When I right clicked it did show 3 items all related to my MP3 player. The first one was highlighted but it still didn't allow me to remove the connection. Should I click on each one in turn?

Technotiger 13:05 23 Jan 2008

As long as the player is not reading or writing, you should be able to simply remove it from the USB connection without any problem. I often insert and remove USB items without ever using the 'safely remove hardware' icon - never had any problems. Of course, I am very careful to make sure that the items are not 'busy' at the time.

Terry Brown 13:17 23 Jan 2008

I have found that using low power devices, (i.e.They draw power from the USB port) generally are unplugable via software, but with external powered devices (i.e. Large hard drives), you cannot safely turn them off until you have shut down the system, although you can start them at any time.
Terry

Evad 17:45 23 Jan 2008

I find closing some obvious and some not so obvious programs allows safe removal. E.g. Windows Explorer (obvious) & EZDesk, Spybot, etc. (not so obvious).

BingoBoy 14:55 28 Jan 2008

Seems to be an issue with my MP3 player when connected as the ICON works when disconnecting the USB from my digital frame. Right clicking does reveal 3 other items but still doesn't allow me to safely remove.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?