Safe way to split a partition

michaelw 10:47 07 May 2010

I've got a Compaq Presario notebook with Vista Home Premium, 222gb 'c' partition and 10.5 gb 'd' recovery partition.

I want to dual boot with xp but I don't want to risk harming the 'd' recovery partition or the stuff on 'c'.

Is there a failsafe way to split 'c' and still retain all progs and data on 'c'. I've made recovery dvds, but these would presumably link to 'd' if I ever needed a recovery. So the extra partition would presumably be 'f'.

mgmcc 12:48 07 May 2010

You could use a program such as the free "Easeus Partition Master" click here to reduce the size of "C" drive's partition and then create a new partition in the "Unallocated Space" created by the resizing.

The normal rule when setting up a dual boot is to install the older version of Windows first. XP and Vista use different methods to boot - XP uses a Boot.ini file, Vista has its own Boot Manager. After installing XP, you may be unable to boot into Vista and you would then have to boot with a Vista DVD to run "fixboot" from the Repair Console.

michaelw 09:31 08 May 2010

Thanks. I'll pluck up courage later and have a go. The last time I I used a partiton tool I trashed a hd using Patition Manager (their fault) so I'm a bit cautious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?