Safe to remove ATA HDD while in Hibernate?

DJ-Garry 17:46 15 Apr 2009

Hi guys, is it safe to take an ATA HDD out of a laptop and then put it back in again ..... so I can read the labelto see exactly what it is ..... while the machine is in Hibernate ... This is so I don't loose the session I'm on in a program .... ?

many thanks, Garry

jimv7 18:17 15 Apr 2009

No, ata is not hot swappable, switch off first.

woodchip 18:40 15 Apr 2009

you should not plug or unplug hardware in computer that includes mice keyboards that plug into PS/2 ports while powered on, or plug still in 230 volts socket,laptop battery should be removed if doing things with hardware other than USB.

(~oo~) 19:01 15 Apr 2009

With a laptop you can disconnect the mains and take out the battery and still hibernation works. It writes the files to the hard drive and when powered up reads from those files.

I've put my money were my mouth is and taken the hard drive from my machine, after shutting down in hibernation mode, disconnect mains and battery, reinserted drive and powered up.

I'm now writing this log from that hard drive. :-)

jimv7 19:22 15 Apr 2009

(~oo~)

So effectively you disconnected the mains and removed the battery. No power = shut down.

Stuartli 19:45 15 Apr 2009

Hibernate saves all your current settings, open web pages etc and switches the system off.

I don't see any reason why a hard drive cannot be taken out (you don't have to disconnect the IDE cable to be able to turn it upside down and read the details) and then returned to its housing.

On the other hand, a utility such as SIW will tell you all you need to know about any hardware:

click here

or even Windows own System Information (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Storage>Drives).

Stuartli 19:46 15 Apr 2009

>>..you don't have to disconnect the IDE cable to be able to turn it upside down and read the details>>

..or indeed the power supply plug.

DJ-Garry 20:12 15 Apr 2009

Right , it seems I've started a bit of a debate now.

Please bear in mind, this is a laptop, with a plug in ATA drive, as soon as it's pulled from the socket, the drive will have NO power ar data connections at all. Not having any experience with ATA, i need tomake sure the new drive a will be getting is the right one.
Do ALL lappy ATA drives just plug in like that, without any cables for even the power?

Is this still safe to do?

(~oo~) 20:17 15 Apr 2009

So effectively you disconnected the mains and removed the battery. No power = shut down.

No. I sent it into hibernation. They I disconnected mains and battery. Took out drive.

Put drive back in and loaded battery.

started laptop and it came out of hibernation and load O\S.

(~oo~) 20:21 15 Apr 2009

drive

get it off SIW click here

storage devices > direct access device

(~oo~) 20:28 15 Apr 2009

about my laptop ATA hard drive

click here

Everything you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?