Safe mode on a Medion computer

bruno 18:15 31 May 2006

My mate bought a Medion MS 7222 computer from Aldi a couple of months ago.Today he went to install Avast and it seized up.He could not get in to do a system restore and I sugested on the phone that he try safe mode by pressing F8,which works on mine.It does not do it on his and I could not find anyway to do it by reading his manual.Anybody know?Please.In the meantime,while I was going over there he got it working,although he does not know how.It would be useful knowledge for the future,though.

johnnyrocker 18:29 31 May 2006

os?

johnny.

mikef. 18:45 31 May 2006

On a medion it's F5, the cause for the seizure could be most Medions, including mine, come with eTRUST anti virus pre installed and he may not have fully deleted it first before loading Avast.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:50 31 May 2006

click here one of these? will be running XP

A medion will have come with a full set of disks and back up on the hard drive.

If he inserts the application/support disk and reboots the PC it will boot from the CD and give the options

1. Rebuild start files
2. Rebuild system files
3. Return to shipping status

1. will repair Boot.ini file NTLR detect etc.
2. is the equvqlent of a windows repair install
both of these should keep his files intact.

3. will delete the hard drives of all file and reinstall windows and the PC will be exactly as when he got it out of the box.

bruno 19:00 31 May 2006

Thanks for the replies.The o/s is XP Home.It is a little better specified than that one,but I suspect the principle will be the same.I thought that Trust not being uninstalled could be the problem,myself.I will tell him to try F5,as it is nice to know these things before you need them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?