Safe Mode

isititis 11:01 21 Apr 2009

Hello all,
I do a virus scan in safe mode on average once a week to 10days. When safe mode opens the mouse cursor is very jerky. Recently the scan had only completed 20 percent after 3hrs. My pc is a HP Pavilion running WIN XP Home SP3 IE7.
Thanks in advance. I'll be back about 1pm

Graphicool1 12:15 21 Apr 2009

How much RAM do you have?
Have you tried 'System Restore' back to before it started happening?
Try the following...
Run 'CHKDSK' Start>My Computer, right-click your HDD usually C:\ and select 'Properties'. Click on the 'Tools' tab at the top of the properties box.
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now' In the drop down box you'll get a choice of...
1-Automatically fix system errors (and)
2-Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
You can run both if you like, it wouldn't hurt.

But do them one at a time. If you click the first one (auto Fix) it will tell you it can't do a check until you next boot. Tell it to do this then come out and reboot.

isititis 16:13 21 Apr 2009

Hi Graphicool,
Thanks for the help. Done sys res, no change. Run CHKDSK no poblems there. I googled crucial and found that there is 2 memory slots accupied with 512mb memory in each slot, which gives less than maximum performance. The recomendation is to increase the memory to 1g per slot. Wil this cure the problem with safe mode being slow? That's what I'm after.

User-1229748 16:22 21 Apr 2009

is it only slow when scanning in safe mode?

isititis 16:42 21 Apr 2009

hi smackheadz,
Yes. everything else works fine.

Graphicool1 11:27 22 Apr 2009

Yes personally I think more RAM to be the answer. However, your PC will always scan slower and the mouse will be jerky in 'Safe Mode' anyway, because not all the drivers are loaded. Its just the basic system setup.

isititis 00:36 23 Apr 2009

On a normal scan Avast! will do a complete scan in about 45 mins. and accept that it will take longer in safe mode...but only 20% after 3 hrs seems a bit slow to me. I've ordered the recommended 2 gig.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?