Safe guard PC

surfer47 19:20 19 Sep 2007

I am using Spybot and Norton Antivirus. My PC is running very slow now are there any suggestions as to possible action to take?
Regards

Clapton is God 20:13 19 Sep 2007

When did you last undertake some basic PC housekeeping?

surfer47 22:47 19 Sep 2007

Clapton is God
I don't know a lot about commputers so I'm not too sure what basic PC housekeeping is. I run Spybot and Norton antivirus about once a week and that is it. I have a nasty feeling this is not going to be enough? All advice gratefully received.
Regards

skidzy 22:49 19 Sep 2007

First step would be to run CCleaner and clear out the junk Surfer click here
See if this improves things,if not post back and we can advise accordingly.

skidzy 22:53 19 Sep 2007

Im off to bed,others may advise later.

Simple things like using MSCONFIG to reduce the startup programs and adding more ram to the computer will certainly help matters.

SB23 23:09 19 Sep 2007

After running Ccleaner as skidzy has already recommended, I would run Superantispyware click here.
Download the free version, and run a full scan. I use this as my final scanner, as it always finds things the others leave behind.

surfer47 13:09 06 Nov 2007

Sorry I have been so long in replying. I have down loaded CC Cleaner and the first thing that springs to mind is that as a lot of entries appear how musch camage can I do if I clean them out. Example in Registry Integrity there are lots of "Missing Shared Dll". "Unused file extensions". "ActiveX/com issues", "Installer Reference issue", "Old Start menu key". I assume that if I run "Fix selected ..." then all these will be deleted. Is this safe t o do?
Regards

skidzy 16:57 06 Nov 2007

Normally Ccleaner is very safe to use.

Though i would advise to create the backup when ccleaner prompts you before applying the fixes to the registry entries found.

mfletch 17:14 06 Nov 2007

You can download a Beginner;s guide for Ccleaner,
click here

Also have you De fragmented your disc drive recently?

XP/ Start/ All programs/ Accessories/ System tools,

Disc defragmenter

Also use the Disc clean up,

mfletch

p;3 17:21 06 Nov 2007

sorry; but Norton is a known computer-resourse hogger
try an on line scan with trend
click here to see what Norton has missed?

also try
click here

a-squared Free 3.0
the exe is here click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 06 Nov 2007

CCleaner (short for "Crap Cleaner") click here knows exactly where to find the files that slow down your computer. Get a quick understanding of CCleaner's features, and learn how to properly maintain your system to keep your computer quick and nimble.

Step 1: Focus your efforts

For a deep cleaning of your PC, you'll want to get into the nooks and crannies of your system. Using the Cleaner window (the default window when you launch CCleaner), you'll notice several checked boxes that indicate which areas of your computer will be cleaned. Most of the boxes are checked by default, so pay close attention if you only want to scrub certain areas. Tabs at the top offer the ability to clean Windows areas and other applications. Switching between the two tabs allows you to make your choices for a customized cleaning.

When you're done with your settings, click the Analyze button on the lower left to see which items will be cleaned. You'll see every file CCleaner will delete and also exactly how much memory will be returned to your system after the cleaning.

Note: It pays to peruse this list before hitting the Run Cleaner button to make sure you're not deleting something important. When you're ready, hit Run Cleaner and watch CCleaner go to work.

Step 2: Out with the old

The next step in our spring-cleaning protocol is akin to sorting through and cleaning out those old boxes in the garage. Click the Issues button on the left side of the interface to bring up another set of checked boxes. This set of tasks does everything from eliminating unused file extensions to trashing obsolete software. Uncheck the boxes you don't want to scan and click the Scan for Issues button. At the end of the scan you'll be given the option to click the Fix Selected Issues button.

Note: It is highly recommend you save your current Registry configuration at the prompt in case of a malfunction later. An additional window will ask if you wish to delete specific items. If you know of a specific item in the list that is not a problem, simply tell CCleaner not to fix it. Remember, if you save your configuration beforehand a mistake here is easily reversible.

Step 3: Uninstall and Startup manager

Windows comes with its own Add or Remove Programs utility, but it's often slow to load and not the easiest Control Panel item to configure. CCleaner quickly lists all of your active programs, and lets you highlight and uninstall software you no longer want. This part of the program utilizes tools already included in Windows, but the convenience and speed for quick uninstallations is tough to beat.

To manage your start-up programs, click the Startup button under the Uninstall button in the upper left of the interface. You'll see a list of active start-up items that launch when you boot up your system. Be very careful here: some items are not immediately identifiable and you wouldn't want to shut down your firewall, antivirus program, or any other important program.

Once you've run through the entire cleaning process, don't be surprised if your computer runs a bit faster. Depending on the capacity of your hard drive, you'll also free up a shocking amount of space if you haven't run a program like CCleaner recently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?