Safe downloading method?

graham√ 12:17 14 May 2003

When I download anything I always opt to save it to the CDR, onto a RW CD. Then I can scan the CD for virus before saving it to the PC, erasing the disc for re-use. Thing is, it saves to a 'temp' folder before an option to transfer to CD is given, does this defeat the object?

most stuff you download is safe until you run it anyway, you may as well just save into a folder and scan it there

expertec 12:28 14 May 2003

What anti-virus program are you using?

graham√ 12:31 14 May 2003

AVG, of course.

Rhuddlan 12:35 14 May 2003

NAV has got to be the best as well as NIS

crx1600 12:36 14 May 2003

you could specify where the temp folder is, and even have that on the CD-RW(?),or perhaps another partition.

as mentioned most nasties appear when you run the file.

check this thread for info on moving that temp folder click here but ignore my advice within it.

graham√ 14:33 14 May 2003

Thanks, I'll experiment to see if the temp folder can be on the CDR.

MartinT-B 14:46 14 May 2003

hmmmm

I use Leechget as my download program. Leechget options are set so that downloads are automatically scanned by NAV as soon as DL is complete.

NAV has auto-update set to check at start-up and then every 12 hours. Auto-protect is also on.

After spending money to enable me to surf and DL more quickly, I certainly don't want to be shuffling a deck of CDs.

MartinT-B 14:51 14 May 2003

Leechget is freeware btw click here

jazzypop 18:05 14 May 2003

I suspect that if I were to write every download to CD, I would very quickly be paying more for CDs than the cost of my Norton AV subscription.

As others have said, the act of writing a downloaded file can not, of itself, trigger a virus - the file itself needs to be run, or executed.

As you yourself say, the attempt to write to a removable drive results in Windows first writing the file to your HDD anyway.

Just save your downloads to a Downloads folder on your HDD, and scan that folder routinely.

Djohn 18:14 14 May 2003

As others say, I too created a new folder in "My Documents", named it "Downloads" (Original?) ;o)

All my downloads go there, then I run an AVG scan, if all is ok, open and install. Regards. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?