Safe to delete folder?

Chelonian 10:17 03 Feb 2005

My ongoing search for the 'missing' and rapidly disappearing HDD space on my 1998 vintage PC has led to a discovery.

At the top of the HDD file folder hierarchy in Windows Explorer is a folder named _RESTORE which contains 2.67GB. I've only recently noticed _RESTORE. It may previously have been hidden.

My HDD is only 4.3GB and as it contains only Windows ME, MS Word 2002, and 11MB of .doc files, I've been unable to understand where my HDD space had gone.

The _RESTORE folder appears to have been created about two years ago, coinciding with a local IT firm (now out of business) installing more RAM and a replacement graphics card. I don't know if this is relevant.

What I'm hoping somebody can tell me is what a _RESTORE file folder is likely to be, and whether it will be safe for me to delete _RESTORE and thus regain my HDD space. The Recycle Bin won't accept a 2.67GB deletion and asks me to permanently delete the folder.

Any advice on this matter much appreciated. Thanks!

Djohn 10:48 03 Feb 2005

It appears that the shop may have installed your operating system [i386] files and maybe drivers for your hardware onto the drive and placed them in this folder for easy access if ever you install a program that normally ask you to insert the operating CD.

This is fine with larger drives that we use now but if you have all the drivers and programs, especially the CD for ME and Word 2002 then yes, you can remove it, but make sure you have these disk or are prepared to move the files from the drive to a CD then better to leave alone.

Open the folder and let us know what is inside there please. Look for the i386 folder plus word 2002.

Chelonian 12:17 03 Feb 2005

Thanks. I'll have a look at the folder. The PC isn't connected to the internet, I'm sending this from a public access PC. From memory, four of the files in the _RESTORE folder were DAT files. Whatever DAT files are!!!

There are separate folders labelled Windows and Programs which I assume from their file sizes (I haven't looked inside) contain my OS and MS Word respectively.

Thanks again for your help.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:24 03 Feb 2005

For info
click here

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:29 03 Feb 2005

More click here

FelixTCat 12:54 03 Feb 2005

It's a long time since I use ME but I think that this works. Right-click on My Computer and there is a Sysem Restore tag. Open this and there are settns for each drive. Highlight the C: drive and hit Settings. You should then be able to adjust the amount of disk space set aside for Restore Points. 200 Mbytes should be enough.

I hope that my memory has served me well; if not, I am sure that there are enough similarities for you to recognise the settings.

sattman 15:23 03 Feb 2005

You can safely delete the restore folder(but you have to do it in Dos)the system will remake a new clean folder on reboot, this is a work around to get system restore working on older Dos systems where the folder gets damaged and stops making points
This is not applicable to Win XP

you require a boot up disk and at the prompt go

Deltree C:\_restore (answer yes at the prompt(

Mango Grummit 15:33 03 Feb 2005

You don't need to delete it but it is far too big. What I would do is refresh the plot and start again. Beware though you will lose all your current restore points by doing this...

Right-click My Computer, click Properties. On the Performance tab, click File System. On the Troubleshooting tab, click to select Disable System Restore. Reboot and do again but this time clear the Disable System Restore check box.

That has now refreshed your System Restore -- now to reduce the size of that file.....

Right-click My Computer, then select Properties, then Performance/File System/Hard Disk. Next, move the slider to choose a reasonable amount of disk space for the System Restore files. 200 megabytes is enough but choose anything you like by moving the slider to the left.

Reboot. Job done.

M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie