Safari browser Top Sites facility

Brighstone 15:31 25 Nov 2009

In the September, 2009 issue of PC Advisor, Apple Safari 4.0 was given a PC Advisor Recommend. Mention was made of the Top Sites facility but this does not appear to be available using Windows XP. The icon does not appear on the favourites bar. Can anyone confirm that Top Sites is unavailable when using XP and if it is available how do I overcome the problem I'm experiencing

bremner 16:32 25 Nov 2009

Top Sites and coverflow require Windows computers to have DirectX9 or newer.click here

Brighstone 23:51 26 Nov 2009

bremner

Thanks for your reply. However, when I click on your link IE freezes before the page loads. Can you give me another way of accessing the info.

bremner 10:27 27 Nov 2009

The link is to Apple so I do not understand why your browser freezes.

The link is

http : // support.apple.com/kb/HT3410

Copy and take out the spaces I have inserted.

User-1229748 11:14 27 Nov 2009

just tried that link in internet explorer 8 and is fine in 32 bit and 64 bit explorer

Brighstone 17:07 28 Nov 2009

bremner
Have now managed to connect to the link. I have directX 9.0 c and an Nvidia GEForce 2MX/MX400 graphics card. I understand that the card should have either 32 or 64video RAM for Safari to work but have been unable to determine if that is the case so have posted a query in the Nvidia forum. Can you help with same and if my card conforms have you any other ideas why I can't use Top Sites.

bremner 17:27 28 Nov 2009

The problem is the card does not properly support DirectX9.

click here

Brighstone 23:10 28 Nov 2009

bremner

A pity, but thanks very much for all your input. My PC is almost 8 years old so I shouldn't really be surprised. Am waiting for Windows 7 to settle in and will then be treating myself to one of PC Advisor's best of 5. Just have to be patient 'til then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?