S-Video cable?

  AngeTheHippy 22:10 01 Jan 2004

Hi chaps, and Happy New Year.
I want to view DVDs from my Laptop on my TV. I think the cable I need is an S-Video cable. Is that what I ask for, or is there more than one type of S-Video cable? What are the connectors like each end of the cable? Is the audio also sent to the TV via this cable, or do I need additiona cables?


  DieSse 22:56 01 Jan 2004

The svideo connection on your laptop will be a small round one, a bit like a mini-din mouse connector, I expect.

On your TV (or video) - you either need a simlar connector, or you will need a SCART adapter (for the standard SCART input) with an svideo input.

You will also need a seperate cable for audio, from the line out of your sound card (a mini-jackplug, probably) - to whatever input your TV has. If you use a SCART adapter, as well as the svideo socket, it will also have phono sockets for the sound.

AND - your TV will need to be able to accept svideo input - otherwise you are likely to get a B&W picture only.

So - check yout TV inputs, get an adapter if you need one, an svideo to svideo cable, a mini-jack to phono cable for the sound, and set up your graphics to provide the TV output (it's not normally automatic.

  Mike ® 23:15 01 Jan 2004

Check also that your dvd player software doesn't complain (about copy protection), when you activate your tv out.

  AngeTheHippy 10:41 02 Jan 2004

Had no idea it was so involved - My TV is about 7 years old now, so unlikely to be able to accept SVideo. Oh well, will just have to keep watching the movies on the laptop - at least I have a pair of external speakers for it, and it doesn't sound TOO bad...



This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?