Runtime Error-Help please

3tg 20:34 31 Aug 2003

My OS is ME,I have a problem which appears to be with the display on my computer. When I try to access the desktop in the My Computer (folders) and the display control in the control panel,I cannot access either, when I try the computer freezes A message box appears with a large red cross and reads Microsoft Visual C++/Runtime Library...then Runtime Error...then Program\Windows|Explorer.exe.....then Abnormal program termination.
As I am not sure what has happened, can anyone advise me how to fix it (in plain english please)
I had to switch the computer off because it was just "hanging" and this followed. Cheers

howard60 21:59 31 Aug 2003

try system restore and go back to when it was ok.

Ironman556 22:30 31 Aug 2003

Go to start, run and type sfc. You'll need your Win ME disc. Do a scan and it'll replace any corrupt files, you may be able to get into My Computer then.

3tg 23:29 31 Aug 2003

Thanks folks, I've done system restore, could not fix it.I also did scandisk and defrag. I haven't got a Windows ME disk as it is a HP computer, it has a recovery disk but I am unsure if I use it, will it format the hard drive and start again ? I really don't want to lose everything.
Being a silly senior citizen I am not as computer literate as you young ones. Cheers

3tg 23:41 31 Aug 2003

ps. I have also repaired internet and searched the MS site. This happened after I installed software and then removed it (via add & remove). could this have caused it?.

3tg 10:55 01 Sep 2003

Refresh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?