Runtime error

Rossi#1 19:30 14 Aug 2006

Im trying to sort a neighbours P.C. Its a Dell 5150 with XP SP2 and every time she starts up she gets a message saying "Runtime error 53 'file not found'".
Ive googled and checked out many a forum especially at Microsoft and I know its something to with Visaul Basic but Im not finding a fix because all answers relate to older OS or servers.
Anyone have an idea how to end this message?

Gongoozler 19:44 14 Aug 2006

Errors at startup are generally caused by programs installed at startup. The worst culprits are adware which is often badly written.

Go to Start - Run. Type in msconfid and click OK. In the dialogue box click on the Startup tab. Remove the tick from the box for any items you don't recognise and exit. If you don't get the error message at the next startup you will know that one of the unticked items was the problem.

If you have a broadband connection, you can also try an online scan with Ewido click here.

Gongoozler 19:44 14 Aug 2006

Sorry, not msconfid - -it should be msconfig.

Rossi#1 19:57 14 Aug 2006

Theres a problem.Her PC is full of programs and not the ones I have.The problem with VB is thats embedded in the OS system but Ill have a look with sysinfo and let you know.

Rossi#1 20:18 14 Aug 2006

Nope no good there.I should have mentioned it says schedule when it c top but when I looked in the scheduled tasks there was nothing.

Gongoozler 20:43 14 Aug 2006

It's still worth trying Ewido and disabling startup items to see if you can identify the offender. Disabling startup items is reversible and no damage is done by it.

woodchip 20:45 14 Aug 2006

What is the file it's looking for

Rossi#1 20:52 14 Aug 2006

It doesnt say.Ill get her to try Ewido.

Rossi#1 21:20 14 Aug 2006

Ran the scan.Shes got more to worry about than a missing file so Ill have to do a Hijackthis Log and post it for her.Ill click this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?