running windows xp on external hard drive

langer 08:18 07 Jan 2008

I have just bought an external hard drive and wish to know whether I can run windows xp home on it. My internal hard drive is fitted with the outdated windows ME and I have 265Mb of memory along with a Pentium II processor. My wife is quite happy with windows ME which is why I need to know whether it's feasible to have 2 operating systems running at once and also whether running XP on an external hard drive would be slower than running it internally. Any advice appreciated.

[email protected] 08:33 07 Jan 2008

sorry dont think its possible,you would possibly need to dual boot,but xp would be really slow with 256mb ram and p2
click here

[email protected] 09:11 07 Jan 2008

sorry should clarify,dont think its easily possible on the external drive,if possible, it would be really difficult and the xp disc/install needs modified etc.Also your system would need the option to boot from the external drive in the bios and said drive be bootable.

The other option,internal dual boot would involve partitioning the internal drive,setting up a dual boot and considering the Pcs specs would be painfully slow.

langer 10:02 07 Jan 2008

Thanks anyway. Probably a good idea to purchase the laptop I've been after for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?