Running windows 7 with external HDD fault with internet

catpwss 19:53 16 Nov 2014

Hi all.Can someone please help out with this problem,Every time I connect my external HDD to make a backup,This ex HDD in in a caddy powered by mains and connected to the desktop via usb cable. Now the problem is as soon as I start the backup to the ex hdd the internet gets knocked off no access with internet at all not even on a laptop down stairs,As soon as I disconnect the ex hdd within a few mins the internet is back on. Can anyone assist with this Please.It's a bit of a pain the only way I get around this is to do the backup during the night when we don't need the internet. Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 16 Nov 2014

What backup program are you using.

catpwss 21:44 16 Nov 2014

Microsoft sync toy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:29 16 Nov 2014

Have you tried a different backup program?

catpwss 09:02 17 Nov 2014

No I haven't tried another program. Before I start the program the prob starts,As soon as I connect the ext hdd the icon near the clock goes with a little yellow exclamation on it. What I did last night did my backup with the ethernet cable out from the desktop tower. I would like to know what is really causing this prob,I know its not a major prob but its bit of a pain to get behind the tower to pull cable out. Many Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 17 Nov 2014

what op system and which icon? assume you mean network icon of two screens?

catpwss 11:31 17 Nov 2014

Hi I'm running windows 7 home premium And the icon left to the clock it looks similar to a tv screen when I connect the ext drive a little yellow comes on that little screen stating no internet connection then when I disconnect the hdd the icon comes back to normal. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017