running sfc /scannow causes blu screen on start u

puma22 14:02 14 Aug 2007

Hi,
for the last few times I have run this programme, when I next start the pc, I get a blue screen error message. The only way I can start the pc again is to go into safe mode and do a system restore to before i ran it.
Any ideas what is going on?

Cheers

Technotiger 14:09 14 Aug 2007

Maybe something screwed up in the Registry. Run CCleaner click here this may sort it.

puma22 14:11 14 Aug 2007

Thanks for the suggestion, but i run CCleaner on a regluar basis. I think you may be right about the screwed up registry; i have been using regsrub recently but not sure if the problem is accociated with regscrub. If it is the registry, then I thought that running sfc.... was meant to put it all back in the original state?

Technotiger 14:17 14 Aug 2007

Hmm, I don't use RegScrub, but I think it probably has its own 'undo' facility so that you can put things back as they were.

BurrWalnut 15:29 14 Aug 2007

You're not by any chance running IE7, as sfc conflicts with it? You have to uninstall IE7 so that IE6 becomes the default.

puma22 15:56 14 Aug 2007

Technogiter,
Yes, it does back up the registry, but the pc runs a lot faster since I used it so dont want to put back all the rubbish if I can help it.

BurrWalnut
Thanks for the info and it does kind of make sense as the error message on the blue screen starts with 0000000E7. Trust microsoft to come up with 2 conflicting pieces of software!!
I'll disable IE7 and run again and then post back with the results

puma22 17:21 14 Aug 2007

Disabling IE7 didnt resolve the issue. Any other ideas anyone?

Cheers

brundle 17:27 14 Aug 2007

07e is a STOP error. Do you see a file name amongst the text on the blue screen?

woodchip 17:57 14 Aug 2007

I think you will find that CClean is removing things it should'nt, I stoped using it for that reason. And use CleanUp instead

puma22 18:14 14 Aug 2007

Hi,
no file bt this is the error message i get
stop oxoooooo7e (0xc0000005 0xf4bcb184 0xf7eeed44 0x7fbeea40

If i have removed a file from the registry which should not have been, how do I identify what it is?

Thanks

brundle 18:26 14 Aug 2007

Unless you made backups of registry changes after cleaning with CCleaner, very little chance.
Look in event viewer for red or yellow marks around the time of the crashes (start menu/run, type eventvwr.msc), check your memory click here check your hard-drive click here

Strange that it works when you do a system restore, but the checks mentioned are still worth doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?