Running sfc with OEM XP disk

Tabvla 18:07 17 Mar 2006

PC : Athlon 64 OS : XP Pro SP2

I want to run the sfc command, which will ask for the XP CD. The CD I have is the OEM CD (Windows XP Emergency Recovery disk) The files on this CD are the original version of XP - prior to SP1.

Is the sfc command intelligent enough to not replace any newer (SP2 + updates) .dll's with older .dll's from the CD? Even if one uses the sfc command with the /scannow switch it does more than just scan, it will replace protected system files that it thinks are wrong. There were a lot of exactly this type of problem with sfc and Windows 2000 after SP4 - so I am not being paranoid in asking the question.

The Microsoft site does not provide sufficient information to explain in detail how sfc actually works nor is there an explanation of how sfc determines which file version is correct.

Thanks in advance.

ACOLYTE 18:09 17 Mar 2006

I dont think it will overwite newer files with old ones,but thats why i made a slipstream sp2 cd
lol.

VoG II 18:20 17 Mar 2006
  woodchip 18:24 17 Mar 2006

It will only restore files that it see's as corrupt if it as the file on the CD. Datewise

woodchip 18:25 17 Mar 2006

PS it also checks the version though it will not tell you that

terryf 19:07 17 Mar 2006

For the future click here on how to make a disc with xp + sp1 + sp2

Stuartli 19:41 17 Mar 2006

SP2 includes SP1.

You will/may still have to reinstall any updates after August 2004 when SP2 was released.

Belarc Advisor will reveal whether any such updates are still on the system and list them as SP3.

It will also list critical security updates as required now by the US government.

Tabvla 11:53 18 Mar 2006

Thanks for the responses.

The links provided by VoG and terryf were particularly helpful - really good info at both these sites.

I will provide an update when done ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?