running several copies of the same program

de_de 20:00 15 Mar 2007

I am trying to get 4 copies of an application running at startup in XP (4 small seperate windows). This is simple enough using the inbuilt MS scheduler program (run at login).

My problem is all 4 windows are on top of one another when first fired up. I then have to drag them off one another and tile manually.

How can I have the 4 applications automatically tiled on my screen?

Thanks in advance Paul

VoG II 20:14 15 Mar 2007

Stupid question: why do you need to open four instances of the same program?

Which program is it?

daba 22:42 15 Mar 2007

The problem is that the one application will only have one set of "configuration" data in the registry, so it will always startup in the same mode, maximised, or windowed, and if windowed, always same size and position.

There may be a clunky software way (vb script perhaps?) to launch 4 copies like you want to, but I'm certain whatever does it would have to hack into the registry between launches.

Only practical way therefore is to start them up, and "tile" as you are already doing.

woodchip 22:51 15 Mar 2007

Strange how software steps backword, I used to use old WordPerfect 6.1 by Novel. And could open four files and have them auto tile

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?