Running programs downloaded from internet

thicasabrick 22:34 24 Mar 2010

I have just bought a Sony Vaio laptop, it has windows 7 home premium with norton 360 gold edition security software. when i have downloaded programs such as the latest itunes they will not install on the machine the norton info box says the file is safe but there is no security signature. any ideas will be greatfully accepted

northumbria61 22:59 24 Mar 2010

It appears Norton may be causing the problem here.

Temporarily disable antivirus software

Using antivirus software is a smart idea, but some antivirus software can interfere with installing iTunes. You might try temporarily disabling your antivirus software while you install iTunes.
Disable other conflicting software

In Windows, some background processes can cause issues for other programs and processes. These conflicts can prevent applications such as iTunes and QuickTime Player from installing. See "Using MSCONFIG to troubleshoot conflicts in Windows" for assistance disabling conflicting processes.

User-1229748 23:13 24 Mar 2010

is this a trial of norton that came with the lappy?

David_2010 14:22 25 Mar 2010

Hello,

The problem seems coming from the installer itself.
If the file is not digitally signed, then this file might not be the genuine iTunes installer.
You can check those details by right-clicking on the executable and then “Norton File Insight”. This will give you details about the file and its signature as well.

I would suggest to download the file again from the original website.
The signature for the installer should be “Apple Inc”.

Now, you have Windows 7, when you are running the executable, have you tried to use the right-click and “run as administrator” ?

I hope this can help.

David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the Norton Support website or the Norton Community

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?