Running out of disk space

Myles 10:43 04 Jun 2005

I am fast running out of disk space on my "C" drive, but have loads on a second drive. I have deleted everything I can but now need to move programs or system folders to clear more space, any ideas?

boot-it-out 11:01 04 Jun 2005

You don't say what you've tried to free up space on your C: drive so try these :

1. Double Click "My Computer", Right click your C: Drive and click "Properties" then "Disc Cleanup"
You will see how much space can be reclaimed by deleting Temp Internet files etc.

2. Check your System Restore settings ( Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore ) if running Win Xp - these can use up a lot of your HD space. Delete some older Restore points if you think you won't need them - like if you have a couple of recent restore points and everything is working fine.

3. Don't try moving system files or folders that's asking for trouble.

4. UNINSTALL programs and then re-install them, specifying your other HD during the installation. You can't just "Cut & Paste" a Program from one drive to the other as there will be system files all over the place in addition to those in the Program Files folder.

5. After this do a Defrag of your C: Drive to tidy it up. ( Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disc Defragmenter ).

All the best,
"Boot-It-Out"

VoG II 11:04 04 Jun 2005

You can also move My Documents click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone