Running Laptop without Battery

dotnetjini.com 18:50 17 Feb 2009

Hi ,

I HAVE Acer 4920

Q1. If I remove the battery then, Can I run the laptop directly on power source ?
Q2. IF Yes, will it damage laptop in any way ?

Regards

tullie 19:22 17 Feb 2009

I think the answers are Yes and No.I am assuming not but i have never removed my battery for a couploe of years,ive found no need to.

peter99co 19:26 17 Feb 2009

My Grandaughters Laptop battery has not worked for a while as it is over five years old. You just have to be careful not to lose the mains supply while you are active.

peter99co 19:34 17 Feb 2009

Can you tick resolved on both posts if you are happy with the result

MCE2K5 20:28 17 Feb 2009
  gazzaho 11:24 18 Feb 2009

Better to run with the battery in and unplug the mains and run it down with the battery once a month to keep the battery ticking over. Some say keeping it plugged in all the time reduces the longevity and charge capacity, I'm not so sure but I use the above method just in case.

Kooji 15:45 18 Feb 2009

I have recently taken posession of a new company laptop. I asked a similar question i.e. how long should I run the machine on battery alone? The I.T. consultant told me to never run it on battery unless absolutely necessary. Just keep it on mains. This particular laptop is switched on for around 12 hours each day. I don't yet know if this will have any long term effects.

Kooji

The Brigadier 11:17 19 Feb 2009
  FatboySlim71 22:39 19 Feb 2009

I have heard that running a laptop with the battery always connected and the laptop plugged into the mains can seriously reduce the battery life. Basically just run the laptop on battery when you need to and unless the battery requires a charge, disconnect the battery from the laptop when you plug it into the mains supply.

tullie 23:07 19 Feb 2009

As ive said,i have had my battery in since new,about two years,without any detrimental affect that i know off.

Forum Editor 23:43 19 Feb 2009

are 'yes' and 'no'.

For the future please remember not to post duplicate threads in separate forum areas - it creates unnecessary confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?