Running a laptop on main power

namtas 20:55 15 Dec 2006

A current post stated that running a laptop on mains could cause battery failure. Can anyone expand on this?

fitshase 21:02 15 Dec 2006

Constant charging of the battery will mean that the battery becomes inefficient. If the battery is removable and you are going to use the laptop on the mains only then remove the battery.

However, best practice is to unplug the power cable and run the battery down then plug back in to charge. Do this once in a while to keep the battery efficient.

Jackcoms 21:03 15 Dec 2006
  Diodorus Siculus 21:04 15 Dec 2006

If using the laptop primarily on hte mains, it is best to take out the battery. Some people suggest storing it in the fridge in a sealed freezer bag!

click here for the following:

Caring for your laptop battery

Things to do to care for your laptop battery

* Avoid leaving your laptop on overnight all the time while charging. Make sure you turn the laptop off occasionally.

* Fully charge and discharge the battery up to 4 times before achieving full capacity when you have a new battery.

* Run the device under the battery's power until you get a low battery warning. Then recharge the battery as instructed in the user's manual. Do not completely discharge the battery by turning off the laptops power management. Fully discharging a Li Ion battery can damage it.

* Remove from the device and store in a cool, dry, clean place if the battery will not be in use for a month or longer and Recharge the battery after a storage period.

* Ensure maximum performance of the battery by optimizing the device's power management features, turning off the screen, using speed step, etc.

What not to do to your laptop battery

* Don't expose the battery to heat, don't leave it in the sun or in a car on a hot day.

* Do not completely discharge the battery by turning off the laptops power management

* Do not short-circuit. A short-circuit may cause severe damage to the battery.

* Do not expose the battery to moisture or rain.

* Do not drop, or physically abuse the battery as this may result in the exposure of the cell contents, which are corrosive/dangerous.

By following these instructions you can in some cases double the usable life of your laptop battery. It's worth it to get into the habit of properly caring for your laptop batteries!

Unfortunately no matter how much you look after your laptop battery eventually it will fail to hold a charge. If your finding that your laptop won't start up or stops soon after you take it off power pack then most likely your battery has failed. You can continue to use the battery on mains power and replace the battery at a later date.

Technotiger 21:04 15 Dec 2006
  namtas 23:21 15 Dec 2006

This is interesting if not highly confusing for me and hence my reason for asking the question. Dell instruct that their Inspirion 6000 must never be used without the battery connected to the system, they go on to add, doing so may damage your PC. I guess I need to contact DELL.

woodchip 23:28 15 Dec 2006

I do what Diodorus Siculus say's in the first part of is post, Have done since getting the Medion Laptop Battery is as good as New. I just put it in If I go Out Like holidays etc

woodchip 23:29 15 Dec 2006

PS Laptop now about two years Old

Technotiger 23:32 15 Dec 2006
  smokeys 02:11 27 Mar 2007

can any one help my evesham 7521t will not power up...the power pack seems 2 be workin fine.out put is 12v.put it says my laptop power in put is 19v.so is this correct power pack.the battery seems dead 2..there is no lights cumin on the lap at all..any ideas wat it could be.thanks..

g0slp 08:07 27 Mar 2007

Hello there. Whilst I can't help you directly with your problem, could I suggest that you repost in a new thread with an appropriate title such as "Please help - my Evesham 7521t won't power up" or similar.

The reason for this is so that your problem is obvious, & also that the thread is your own. It's not a good idea to ask questions of your own in someone else's thread; it causes confusion!

I suspect that you're new here; if so then welcome to the forum. I hope that you get benefit from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?