Rundll32.exe Problem

g-c-b 14:26 01 Apr 2009

HELP PLEASE!!!! I have accidentally (& stupidly!) deleted 'rundll32.exe' following a Spyware Detector issue. Unfortunately I did too good a job of this by using 'Eraser', so it's totally unrecoverable. Any ideas how I can fix this?

MAJ 15:02 01 Apr 2009

The legitimate Rundll32.exe file should be located in your C:\Windows\System32 folder, if it's anywhere else, chances are it's a virus file.

Go to Start > Run and type in:

SFC /SCANNOW

and press OK. That will scan your system and replace any missing or corrupt system files. You might need your Windows disk during the process.

g-c-b 16:20 01 Apr 2009

Thanks Maj. It was the rundll32.exe from C:\Windows\System32 folder - (told you I'd been stupid!)

I'll try the SFC/SCANNOW but I'm not certain= I have Windows disk - it's a Dell pc and I only have the Resource CD (Device Drivers; Diagnostics & Utilities; Computer documentation).

Any other ideas if SFC/SCANNOW doesn't work or rundll32.exe isn't on the CD?

Thanks again, g-c-b

g-c-b 16:32 01 Apr 2009

I've tried SFC/SCANNOW but it does need the CD and the files aren't on the CD I mentioned previously.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,g-c-b

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 01 Apr 2009

Do you have a folder i386 on your hard drive?

# Click Start, and then click Run.
# Type expand X:\i386\rundll32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe
in the Open box, where X is the letter of your Drive.
# Restart the computer.

g-c-b 16:39 02 Apr 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat. I managed to solve it before I got your reply. :) But I appreciate your help anyway. Thanks again. g-c-b

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?