rundll32.exe lost file

moggers 14:00 08 Aug 2010

Hi I removed a number of viruses and spyware from a friends PC recently but in doing so I seem to have deleted the "rundll32.exe" file. Now nothing opens from the desktop shortcuts.

Does anyone know where I can locate this file on the internet and how exactly should it be re installed onto my friends PC? He is running Windows XP but hasnt got/cant find his recovery CD.

Thanks in advance.

northumbria61 14:20 08 Aug 2010

Check if you find a copy of rundll32.exe in the folder C:\windows\system32\dllcache or in C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. If this is the case, go ahead and copy rundll32.exe to the system folder C:\windows\system32

moggers 16:03 08 Aug 2010

I just clicked on my C: drive went through the folders and I cant even find that on my PC what am I doing wrong here? I want to know what Im doing before I go round and try it on his PC.
I have windows vista though is it different on Vista?

northumbria61 21:48 08 Aug 2010

Click "C" drive - Windows Folder - System 32 - scroll down and you should find "rundll32.exe" in the C:\windows\system32\dllcache OR alternatively in the C:\windows ServicePackFiles\i386 Follow instructions as suggested when you find it. If it isn't there then there are other methods but this would be the easier option.

moggers 20:19 24 Aug 2010

OK looked in the C:\windows\system32 folder and all that was found was dllhost and dllhst3g files, no dllcache was there.
Am i doing something wrong? I looked on XP and Vista and couldnt find the dllcache?

moggers 15:50 17 Sep 2010

^^ bump ^^

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 17 Sep 2010

Set Explore to view hidden files and folders

Tools - Folder options -view - show hidden files and folders.

Might also be worth doing Start - Run type
sfc /scannow
press OK

let windows file checker find and replace missing / corrupt windows files, it might take awhile and possibly ask for the CD. to be inserted if not a preinstalled system.

moggers 15:57 17 Sep 2010

Found this article, looks like it could help, sent me to this program: click here
what do you guys think?

VOT Productions 17:56 17 Sep 2010

Don't trust it

VOT Productions 22:31 17 Sep 2010

If you are lucky I'll find a copy of rundll.exe

moggers 20:16 20 Sep 2010

what exactly do you mean?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?