Run Programmes from a laptop that r on a desktop

Sparkly 11:24 04 Dec 2007

Hi all I have been asked this by a family member could i have any thoughts on it.
"What I want is a network between the desktop, laptop and printer. I want to be able to see and transfer files between the pcs, and print from any pc. I want to be able to run MS Office on the laptop, even though it is only installed on the desktop. Also want to be able to surf the internet from either pc. I have some tv programmes recorded on an external drive. Is it possible to access that external drive from either pc, and is a wireless network fast enough to be able to show a tv program on the laptop which is stored on the external drive connected to the desktop.

I also want the desktop hardwired to the internet and not on wireless, because of internet banking safety etc.

Is all this do-able? If you could tell me what stuff to get that would make it easier.

This is the laptop he bought.
click here

anskyber 13:06 04 Dec 2007

Not sure about the programs although I think the answer is no. As far as sharing files, printing and internet connection is concerned it is all possible. You will have to set up a network between both computers.

johnem 13:18 04 Dec 2007

Sharing files should be possible, but as far as I am aware, in order to run a programme, it has to be installed on each the machines. If you do not have a multi licence version of MS Office, you could always install Open Office on the laptop and set it up to save the files in MS mode. Unless you have a print server adapter, you will need to have whichever computer that the printer is operated from switched on and running. Sounds more complicated than it actually is. As mentioned before, you will need to set up a network either wired or wireless. If you use a router, then you should be able to access the internet from either puter. Lets us know how you want to proceed. Start off with the simple bits before trying to network drives etc. Not sure about wireless transfer speed, have to perhaps try it and see, but get it working on a simple wired network first.

Sparkly 13:21 04 Dec 2007

anskyber thanks for the reply i thought that there could be a hiccup as to running the programmes,do you think that a wireless network would work and be fast enough to be able to show a tv program on the laptop which is stored on the external drive connected to the desktop.

johnem 13:23 04 Dec 2007

Why not connect the external drive direct to the laptop when you require to watch the programmes?

MAJ 13:31 04 Dec 2007

As far as I remember and unless MS have changed the terms, it is okay to install Office on both your desktop and laptop.

MAJ 13:55 04 Dec 2007

And yes the wireless connection should (if it's a good connection) be fast enough for you to play videos across the connection, not sure about the transfer rate between it and the external drive though, but I can't imagine that it would be too much of a problem.

Sparkly 13:55 04 Dec 2007

That was my suggestion to him johnem,
MAJ thanks for your input to by saying that do you think that he will not be able to run Office from the laptop if it is installed on the desktop?
Thanks guys.

Sparkly 13:57 04 Dec 2007

And yes the wireless connection should (if it's a good connection)

Thanks again MAJ

MAJ 15:21 04 Dec 2007

".....do you think that he will not be able to run Office from the laptop if it is installed on the desktop?"

I think I tried that one time, Sparkly, didn't work for me. As MS allow you to use your Office CD to install and use the suite on both your Desktop and your Laptop at the same time, that shouldn't be a problem. Of course, when it is installed on both computers you can open and edit all the Word, Excel, Access, etc. files no matter which computer they are stored on, as long as the folder they are in, is shared.

Sparkly 15:30 04 Dec 2007

MAJ thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?