Run as box appears on opening programmes!

boybrown 20:29 17 Oct 2004

Hi folks,

I earlier installed the service pack 2 from microsoft and the computer went nuts! I have uninstalled and managed to salvage my settings however whenever I try to open a programme a "run as" box appears asking which user account I want to use. Does anyone know how I can stop this? The computer has'nt stored any system restore points so that's not an option.

Hope you are all keeping warm out there

cheer's

boybrown

:o)

spikeychris 21:01 17 Oct 2004

Save this to desktop click here and run it.

boybrown 22:23 17 Oct 2004

Hi,

thanks soo much for getting back in touch. How do I save it? It opens in a webbrowser and I have saved it as a reg file. i have then double clicked and it appears to edit the registry but still the same problem. Am I doing something wrong?

cheers

boybrown

spikeychris 10:30 18 Oct 2004

The reg fix should have worked, how many users are there?

1.Log on as admin

2.Right-click My Computer icon, and then click Manage.

3.In Computer Management, double click Services and Applications in the right pane and
then double click Services.

4. Right-click the "Secondary Logon" service, and then
click Properties.

5.Set Startup type to "Disabled", and then
click Apply.

boybrown 12:46 18 Oct 2004

HI Spikeychris,

Cheers again for getting back in touch. i've also tried that and i'm still getting the same box appearing. In the 'run as' there are two options. It comes up as default for current user with a sub-box that is ticked that reads "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity. If you then click ok then the programme does not start. In order to run anything I have to uncheck that box each time!

Any more ideas?

cheers

boybrown

spikeychris 13:54 18 Oct 2004

OK click here and download it to desktop. Open the zip and run the file.

woodchip 14:23 18 Oct 2004

Your shortcut's have become disassociated with the Program's. Try Microsoft Tweak tools to repair the shortcut's. For XP you should Download "XP Power Toys" for 98se "Tweak UI"

boybrown 15:05 18 Oct 2004

Folks,

That's done it thankyou very much for your time and knowledge!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017