Run 2 Computers onto One Monitor

smudge6521 10:57 18 Jul 2010

Can anybody help me with the following problem. I am aware that you can buy KVM switchs but what I am after doing I am having difficulty. I want to run 2 computers onto one monitor however both my computers have DVI connections and going into my monitor which is VGA.There is a dvi slot on my monitor as well as VGA. Would it work with one PC connected DVI to DVI and the other onto the VGA or is there some kind of spilter cable that would assist. I have trawled webs but not very successful. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

gengiscant 10:59 18 Jul 2010

You need something like this click here#

Proclaimer 11:01 18 Jul 2010

The one I use is an ATEN KVM and it will not allow one DVI and one VGA connection to go into the Monitor. Both connections must be DVI ot VGA.

That does not mean that all KVM@s will be the same, however, if you buy online you could test the KVM and if it does not work, return it under the Distance Selling Regs.

Proclaimer 11:02 18 Jul 2010

PS, even using that adapter mentioned by gengiscant my KVM will not allow the VGA signal to go to the monitor. So research and test thoroughly.

DieSse 12:12 18 Jul 2010

"Would it work with one PC connected DVI to DVI and the other onto the VGA"

I use my monitor to connect to two computers exactly like that. I can switch the monitor from one to the other using the monitor controls - very simply, but chechk the monitor manual for how it works with yours.

DieSse 12:14 18 Jul 2010

If you've only got DVI outputs on both computers, then you can buy a simple DVI to VGA adapter for that cable. Make sure you get an adapter the right way round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?