"RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation"

DIYgirl 09:53 04 Apr 2007

When I switched the computer on this morning I got the following error message:

"RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation

"The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

I've been away for a few days; got back last night, went on the internet for a while during which a couple of updates were automatically downloaded. I can't see any obvious problems with the way the computer is running at the moment, but is something lurking, ready to explode?

DIYgirl 09:57 04 Apr 2007

Ooops. I should have said: I'm running Windows XP (Professional, I think) on my computer. I suspect that might be useful to know!

Nellie2 10:27 04 Apr 2007

It's a known problem with the last security update. There is a hotfix available click here

Shas 10:30 04 Apr 2007

I got the same message last night when my machine rebooted after an auto update. A Google search says "hhctrl.ocx is a Microsoft ActiveX which supports all functions of the user help interface, not a critical component" Everything seemed to work ok so I ignored it at the time, intending to check it out more later.

DIYgirl 11:04 04 Apr 2007

Nellie2, thanks for letting me know. What I now can't work out is which of the fixes on your page is the one that I need to use!

Sorry. I am dense. But I am at least trying to sort this out!

Nellie2 13:24 04 Apr 2007

This is the direct download for the hotfix click here

amyfleur 13:40 04 Apr 2007

Well, I had just drafted the same question ready to ask HELPLINE on PC Advisor, after turning on my PC a few minutes ago (I had a Microsoft download last time I shut down my PC earlier this morning) and thanks to DIYgirl's TITLE / question and Nellie2's answer I am now clean.

Thank you DIYgirl
Thank you Nellie2

Squib 16:51 04 Apr 2007

Just the same as amyfleur!! Thanks to all of you. CP.

trisha01 17:16 04 Apr 2007

I got the same thing this morning as well

Many thx!

DIYgirl 17:50 04 Apr 2007

I've now downloaded Nellie2's fix and all is working properly. Thank you, Nellie2. Much appreciated.

doc twit 20:46 04 Apr 2007

thanks for the fix Nellie2!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)