rss feed not functioning

Pathologist 11:00 29 Dec 2005

Part of my web site gets up to 1500 visits per week. It's about the Origin of English Sayings and consists of an index page of Sayings with links to other pages dealing with individual alphabetical letters, or groups of them; a total of 17 pages including the index.
I've managed to build an .rss link with all of these pages, and to included a feed on the index page; I've uploaded both these files.
In order to test the link, when on-line, I've registered that I want to receive the links. This is in both my browser, Opera, and an rss reader -Feedreader. The links all come up in both facilities. What then doesn't happen is for updates of my pages to be detected. Even if I click 'update this feed' the updates are not detected.
I've used a variety of programs to generate both .xml and .rss files for the feed link. The .xml file was generated by FeedforAll. All load and show the pages I've described, but none update. I'm clearly doing something wrong (this is my first attempt to utilise .rss feeds), or I'm asking for something that can't be done.
What I want is to create a feed that will detect the occasional updates of my pages. I have visitors from all over the world and I thought that it would be sensible to supply updates through rss technology so that people could visit when something changed. At the moment it seems that my Spirit is willing, but my Flesh is very weak!
I've also tried this with a Charity site that I run, only wanting to update the Index page from time to time. The .xml file here is very small, but has the same problem.
Advice please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?