RS232 serial port not working

dabthoms 23:48 21 Mar 2008

Since installing SP3 to my Windows XP Pro system my RS232 serial port no longer works. I have a Hyperpen tablet that has an RS232 connection so it no longer functions. Is there a converter that I can attach to the male RS232 so I can connect via a USB port? I have seen a USB 2.0 to RSB (male) serial adapter dongle but that is of no use. I'd appreciate any suggestions towards resolving this.

Ashrich 00:06 22 Mar 2008

Have you checked in Device Manager to see if it is working there , or if there any conflicts . It won't have just broken , it must be a software problem as it occurred as you loaded SP3 , it might just need reconfiguring , what does the tablet need in terms of port speed etc. , data bits , flow control etc. ?

Ashley

DieSse 00:28 22 Mar 2008

This click here with the gender changer.

But there can be loads of issues if you do this. I really agree that you should look into why the RS232 port has stopped working.

DieSse 00:29 22 Mar 2008

Maybe it's the tablet software that's stopped working - more likely I would have thought. Try reloading it.

dabthoms 10:40 22 Mar 2008

Thank you Ashrich and DieSse for your replies. I have done all the checks you suggest and the RS232 port is kaput. I initially uninstalled the tablet, then reinstalled with updated drivers, to no avail. My brother-in-law has the same PC as mine with an almost identical setup and it still works like a charm on his. The tablet was working well (I use it in conjunction with ArtRage) immediately prior to the SP3 update, and that is the only change that's been made to my machine. The link of course is for a cable with a male serial connection at one end and a USB at the other. What I really need is one with a female serial connection to USB that I can connect to the male on the tablet cable.

DieSse 12:20 22 Mar 2008

You get the gender changer also, to change the male to a female.

dabthoms 12:49 22 Mar 2008

Ah, I didn't notice that, DieSse, however, I've found exactly what I need from a company called techfocus, a dongle with a female RS232 on one end and A USB on the other.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 22 Mar 2008

Check it is not disabled in BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone