routers or hubs

lost78 16:19 31 May 2006

hi,
i was hopping some1 could help me out a little here, what is the difference between routers and hubs?
ive got two pcs and i want them to share the internet thats all, one of thems is used for gaming so if its the only one in use id like it to get all speed it can.
thanks for any help or info, lost78

mgmcc 17:14 31 May 2006

A "hub" is the most basic device for connecting two or more computers in a network. It is "unintelligent" and simply connects them together - traffic sent from one computer to another via a hub goes to all computers and they have to sort out what belongs to which computer.

A "switch" also connects multiple computers but is more "intelligent" in that it sorts the traffic so that it only goes to the correct computer in a network.

A "router" is a device for connecting multiple computers to the internet. Routers normally incorporate a network "switch" and, in the case of wireless routers, also a Wireless Access Point. ISPs only allocate one IP address, which is why only one computer can connect to their service. With a router, it is the router which connects to the internet, gets the single IP address and in turn allocates Local Area Network addresses to each computer connected to it. It then "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the local network.

acsmanhtml12 09:51 01 Jun 2006

To add to that a hub and switch are mainlyt for ethernet and can be connected to a router via a CAT5 cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?