Routers & Modem Routers - please explain

Ptolemy 14:35 27 Dec 2008

Hi, Merry Xmas & Happy New Year etc to all

I understand PCs OK, but I'm lost on routers/networks.

I have recently moved and now have Virgin Media BB with modem connecting through the ethernet port of PC.

I also have a laptop that I want to connect wirelessly - this has a Wirelass Cardbus Adapter
802.11g.

I am hopimng to make use of January sales to pick-up the necessary hardware, but I'm unceratin exactly what I need. A router, a modem-router and how many USB adaptors?

Any advise, tips or guidance would be appreciated.

jimv7 15:02 27 Dec 2008

A wireless cable router, you can get 1 from virgin media for £40 or free if your lucky, contact them freephone on 150, if your cable connected internet and not via the phone line in which case you will need a modem router + plus phone adaptors for each phone outlet.

Pineman100 15:19 27 Dec 2008

Rather than the complications of connecting a router to your modem, it's probably a lot easier just to buy a router with a built-in B/B modem. It won't cost you very much more.

Netgear is a well-respected brand.

If you connect to the internet via your phone line, then you need an ADSL modem router; if you're on cable then you need a cable modem router.

Either way, you'll need to connect your computer to your router via an ethernet cable just once, in order to set it up. Then you'll be able to remove the cable and operate wirelessly.

In my experience, a Netgear router comes with an installation CD that makes the whole process a doddle. You should find that the router will also come with an ethernet cable.

Ptolemy 15:53 27 Dec 2008

Thanks for quick responses.

Pineman: I think I will be following your advise, but just for my own interest, can I connect my existing modem to a router and will that act as modem router? FYI the Virgin Media supplied modem has a cable feed in an ethernet out.

Pineman100 15:55 27 Dec 2008

Yes, you can. But I've never done it, so I don't want to give you any specific advice.

Ptolemy 16:12 27 Dec 2008

Thanks to you both again. I feel a trip to PC world coming on.

Pineman100 17:10 27 Dec 2008

You might like to check prices online first.

For example:

click here

click here

...and so on.

jimv7 17:58 27 Dec 2008

Are you connected to virgin media with a cable modem or with an adsl modem, the routers will de different.

Pineman100 16:39 28 Dec 2008

Ptolemy said above: "the Virgin Media supplied modem has a cable feed in an ethernet out."

steeler 18:44 28 Dec 2008

I have successfully installed a Netgear DG834G modem router on my desktop pc together with a wireless usb adapter. Pineman 100 says I should be able to remove the ethernet cable now to operate wirelessly. However when I take out this cable from the router I lose connection and a message saying the network cable has been removed. Should I be doing something else?

ambra4 21:32 28 Dec 2008

It a little more complex when install a router to a cable modem than a normal ASDL modem

/router via the phone line

Most domestic cable ISPs have the cable modem configured to recognize only one client

computer by the MAC address of its network interface.

Once the cable modem has learnt the MAC address of the first computer/router that its talks to, it

will not respond to any another MAC address

Thus if you swap one PC for another PC or a router, the new router will not work with the cable

modem, because the PC/router has a different MAC address to the first PC.

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to

the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

Power everything off, the computer, and do not power up the router, the Cable Modem which

must be left without power for 10 minutes.

This is IMPORTANT so that the cable modem loses the association between the existing

connections (recognized by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the router's WAN Port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet port.

Connect a second Ethernet Cable from the PC's network card and Port 1 of the Router's LAN

Ports

Check that the following setting is correct on the Computer

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control- Set to Hardware Default (Auto)

Click – Connection Type – Change to Auto-Negotiation

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

Power on the Cable Modem only when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognizes a new connection and allocate an IP address to the router

The router will recognizes a new connection and allocate an IP address to the computer

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you

will find in the manual, into the browser URL address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking.

Once the router set-up is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

You should see all green lights showing on the Modem and the Router

The 2 displays Local Area Connection Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet via the Ethernet cable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017