Routers and broadband speed

loopyloo 14:36 10 Jul 2009

I have just been upgraded from 2mb to 10mb broadband by Virgin Media. My problem is that I have a desktop and laptop computer connected via a router Linksys. If I take out the router on the desktop I get to near speeds of 9MB but on the laptop computer with the router pluged in I am getting only 5MB average. Virgin says it's the router cutting the speed down and I need to adjust the setting to get the correct speed through the router. Does anyone know how to do this.

The Kestrel 22:56 10 Jul 2009

Try the Lynksys support site click here for help. You need to know which settings need to be changed. Virgin should also be able to help too as your ISP. When I moved to a 24mb service, my new ISP sent me details of what settings were required for the faster service.

loopyloo 23:03 10 Jul 2009

It was Virgin which told me to try Lynksys for the settings. I have looked at their website but I can't find anything relating to the problem. I know for certain it's the router because if I unplug and use the normal way I get the correct speed of 10MB, but with the router pluged in only 4MB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?