Routers

AntB8 07:18 08 Jan 2015

My wifi doesn't reach the garden, can I run another cat 5 cable to my shed and have a separate router to connect too? Or do I have to unplug the existing router and move it when required, any advice appreciated

onthelimit1 08:39 08 Jan 2015

You run an ethernet cable and then buy a wireless access point an example here. you can use a spare router, but they can be a bit tricky to set up.

BRYNIT 08:54 08 Jan 2015

Yes you could run a cat5/6 cable to the shed and have a separate router How to set up a router as a repeater

If you have power from your the house to the shed you could try a powerline adaptor CLICK HERE and connect the router or a Powerline wifi booster CLICK HERE.

AntB8 09:14 08 Jan 2015

Thanks the shed is on a different electrical circuit than the existing router I believe that the wifi extender has to be on same circuit

spuds 10:14 08 Jan 2015

The extender would need to be on the same electrical ring main circuit. It can be done using a cable, providing that the cable is protected, the router is suitable. I find that this website offers very good advice on various broadband issues click here

spuds 11:19 08 Jan 2015

"Why do people still think that Powerline Adapters still need to be on the same Ring Main. ??"

Perhaps!! click here

onthelimit1 11:59 08 Jan 2015

I've set up a number of these for people and have found that as long as the supplies are from the same main fuse / switch box they work fine (even though on separate ring mains).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?