Router/Modem installation advice

23790954 20:57 23 May 2007

As an elderly pensioner my hobby is building, repairing and servicing computers for my family. This has proved successful over the years, but all these computers have used internet modems. In an attempt to broaden my knowledge, I purchased a Netgear DG 834 modem/router/firewall and tried to install it on my system. This did NOT prove successful. I
started off by uninstalling my internal ADSL modem and drivers, then followed the directions on the CD which was with the Netgear, plugging the ethernet cable into the LAN port on my computer, listed in the manual as Onboard VITESSE 8201 phy (10/100/1000 Mbit). I also tried it having switched off my anti-virus and firewall, but without success. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI and I use Windows XP Professional. The problem which included a username, password square appearing on the screen, but when I entered my ISP username and password, and pressed connect, the password dissappeared, leaving the log on square, and I had to apply Cntrl Alt Delete, to exit that page.
When I used the task manager, it had recorded a message stating that authorisation was not given to use the connection.
I appreciate that it is very difficult to analyze much from this message, but if anyone can give me any assistance on how to install this Netgear Modem/router, it would be very much appreciated. Any tips at all is worth trying.
Many thanks to all who take the time to help in this matter.

mocha 21:21 23 May 2007

You say you have uninstalled ADSL modem and drivers, some of these drivers may be needed to connect to your ISP, I would run the CD provided by your ISP again and see if this works.

mjf123 21:29 23 May 2007

First of all you should plug your ethenet cable into the network port on your computer and into any one of the four ports on the back of your router.

Next open Internet Explorer and in the address window at the top type 192.168.0.1 and hit enter.

Your should now have a dialog box pop up in the centrewhere you can fill a user name and password. Normally with a Netgear router this is "admin" and "password" this will now let you into the router software from where you can run the setup wizard.

Hope this helps to explain things for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?